FYI: Custom Modifier Mount Adapters

fotografz

<p>In a recent thread, the question of how to adapt various proprietary modifiers to other strobe heads was discussed.</p>

<p>In that discussion, the subject of Kacey Enterprises came up as a possible solution, with a few possible cautions in terms of communications with the company. I now have gone through the process with them and can happily report success. Communications were swift, personal and clear ... the product delivered and tested. </p>

<p>My specific dilemma involved the desire to mount some of the excellent Elinchrom Rotalux modifiers that use a proprietary speed-ring with a quick assembly design, or other fixed mount mods like an Eli background reflector, Fresnel Gobo box, and 7' folding giant para with the head mounted inside ... using my Hensel Porty P and Mini 1200 heads.</p>

<p>Kacey has a universal Eli adapter which is then customized by adding the mount insert for your specific strobe system. You have to e-mail that info to secure a quote from them as different inserts are different prices. I my case, Kacey had to order my 2 inserts for Hensel applications, but that was accomplished pretty quickly. </p>

<p>The actual product is very well made and the Elinchrom side of the adapter seems even more secure than Elinchrom's own approach (which I've had issues with in past). It is a bit more difficult to mount this adapter to a modifier with a freely spinning ring like the Rotalux has, but the additional security over Elinchrom's approach is worth it IMO. Once mounted to the head, I gave it some torture tests ... slamming the stand down, and pulling pretty vigorously on the end of the modifier ... no problem (rather find out now as opposed to on-set with a model, some kid, or even worse while doing a portrait of a lawyer's wife : -)</p>

<p>Here's quick snap of the Eli to Hensel adapter in action ... </p>

<p>-Marc </p><div>00aEbx-455861584.jpg.ad187e1f533a43c6fa0f58b092bf7207.jpg</div>

<p>Looks great Marc!</p>

<p>How deep is the flash tube buried inside the adapter? Any issues with getting even distribution of light through the sides of the modifier? I know that I went through some struggles with finding a speedring for my Mola beauty dish that didn't leave the flash tube buried deep in the throat of the speedring. </p>

<p>Regarding the spinning Rotalux speedring, there should be a thumb screw inside the strobe that allows you to tighten the speedring and lock it in place. </p>

<p>Thanks Sheldon ... duh! (slap forehead) ... spin solved.</p>

<p>The adapter is pretty thin, and takes away about 1/2" of bulb depth... it is the Elinchrom Speed Ring that's taking up more.</p>

<p>I'll fire some off tomorrow to see how evenly it spreads light inside.</p>

<p>-Marc</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Ran tests using a flash meter, and in addition then shooting a series of stepped exposures until underexposed dead on at the front flush diffuser. Pretty even across the whole face. Some fall off at the far edges with the meter 3" from the face, but negligible difference at 3' & 6' distance. </p>

<p>-Marc</p>