Future plans for Photo.net

wade_rose

It is likely that the site will be sold then revamped and a more commercial attitude taken.

Hopefully the more commercial attitude will include a focused response to the subscribers

and their wishes.

Currently the site seems to be under resourced and treading water. That in itself is a great

achievement. However the water is getting deeper and deeper and also murkier.

It would be nice to have an ownership that encourages subscribers as opposed to the

common response here of "if you don't like it, go away and start your own site".

Those who currently help out have a thankless task.

The value and strength of the site will finally be revealed when the plunge is taken and

there is a real correlation between subscribers and benefits to the subscribers.

In the end the life of the site will be determined by its Quality which is a directly related to

the quality of the photographers at the apex and the functionality of the site. There is

considerable room for improvement in both.

Aye Louis. To me, the two biggest priorities I've noted in the last couple of months is 1) software recode allowing the gallery to be pieced into sections, so as to work against the banning of gallery.photo.net (thereby removing the site from medium and large corporations corporations, as well as 2nd world countries because of the nudes) and 2) software additions to allow for the propogation of many groups like Picture This and Five, with theme focuses, geographical focuses, goal oriented approaches, etc. The latter would be a hell of a community builder and maintainer, but it needs programmatic infrastructure to support it so new groups can be born, die, and be advertised to other photogs so that being within one or more circle is the natural state. Things like threaded message boards for these circles with their own mods, ability to send photos out for critique within the circle, featured circle on the front page, etc. Picture This is still using some very outdated technology, and my opinion is that most folks would jump on groups like that if it were easier to admin them, join them, find them.

All the best,

Michael

Photo.net's interface is flat, boring and difficult to use. It's not pleasant to look at in any way.

The lack of a solid interface design is shocking for a site that's supposedly for creative

people. The forum software is a joke, the system for ranking photos is a joke and the overall

look and feel is a joke.

And least you say that I'm just flaming for flame's sake, I remind you that I've been a member

of this site since '03, have been a prolific poster and comment giver. I love the IDEA behind

Photo.net but the ham handed execution of the interface is an embarrassment.

Chris, that's quite a list of things you don't like about photo.net. Fortunately, we are planning

to make improvements, so if you'd care to help... Exactly why is the forum software "a joke",

or any of the other things you mention? How do you think we should improve things? Please

post suggestions, or e-mail them to me if you'd prefer.

Note: I am certainly not in charge of things, so I can't make any other promise than that I will

forward the ideas to the team.

It's funny that every web/interface designer claims they can do things so much better...

I personally like the interface and forums. Every rating system will have flaws. I especially like the simplicity of photo.net. I find it easy to navigate and use. Not everything has to be flashy.

I for one am a fan, I only wish I could spend more tme here...

Far from a "lack of interface design", it seems to me that a lot of thought went into it.

Absence of chrome doesn't mean absence of design. Threads just encourage flaming and

RSI; emoticons are useful only to mark poorly-written messages; animated emoticons and

avatars are a pain in the neck for people with only one processor; editing of already-

posted messages is often abused by trolls. And I would like to reserve a special kick in the

pants to those "interface designers" who set up tables and specify fonts by pixel so they

don't work on high-res screens; a special double kick for the ones who forget that Mac

fonts are 30% smaller. A certain <i>other</i> photographic site comes to mind.

<p>

Please keep the forum software as it is. It has a bug or two but is not fundamentally

broken.

The accessiblity things I agree with - but the Picture This group is still having to share an account to work their mojo. The unthreaded message board approach might be good for certain focus groups, but I encourage you to view their stuff and claim a threaded approach wouldn't facilitate focus groups like this. Unlike some of the main boards here, they would benefit from having a long history of threads to sift through, self moderation, etc. Sorry to keep talking about them, but I believe they could be used as a model for community building and reinvigoration - and even a cursory view of how they have to do things tells me they are a target of technology updates:

http://www.photo.net/shared/community-member.tcl?user_id=617763

Another bunch that might like threads is the Large Format group (who substantively split from photo.net for several reasons including intellectual property), and perhaps could be brought back in from the cold. Granted their forums use the annoying emoticons and things that you speak of I believe, but there isn't much doubt that its competitive in finding and locating information. They might also enjoy knowing Philip is at the helm again.

I think the visual quality of the design of photo.net is fine myself, especially for a high volume page.

Cheers.

With many other web sites the so called web design experts create sites tailored to cable and dsl, and create pages that load slowly with dialup. This trend is by sloppy lazy web page creators, who add chrome, flash, ill sized images. Here I make my sites load up quickly with dialup, and check the performance with a 26.4kbps modem, and use Foxfire, opera, and IE too. Some web sites load real slow, and folks just go to a competitors site that has little bog, and doesnt waste folks time. Its like having a McDonalds and Burger King next to each other, one has no wait to order, another was a huge bog due to poor layout. Just because a web designer has a T1 line doesnt meant they should get sloppy and create a bloaded site.