Fully Manual Nikon SLRs

joahnna_te

Since you asked about the FA, it shows that you might not mind a used body. Like the others before me, I would choose the FM3a over the FA. If the price of a new FM3a is a problem, you can get about 95% of the features of the FM3a in a used FE2 for a lot lower of a price. The 5% that you don't get would basically be the mechanical shutter, but with good batteries, you would never notice the difference in practice.

For what it is worth, I have been using a pair of FE2s since the mid-1980s, and they perform perfectly today after about two decades of hard use. I was happy when Nikon released the FM3a (an unexpected move in the AF / digital era), but when I contemplated buying one, it dawned on my that with two perfectly operating FE2s, there was no reason.

I just got one too recently and am delighted with it.<br>

Be prepared to shoot a lot more as it's so convenient to bring it everywhere (I mean compared to bigger AF bodies)...<br>

At first I missed the spotmetering mode, but I'm now quickly getting used to CW.<br>Fred.

Ditto everything Ricardo said. I prefer my FM2N because I do a lot of low light shooting and very little flash photography. The red plus-even-minus LEDs are very easy to see and quick to adjust, even for someone like me who was raised on match needle meter readouts.

OTOH, I'm comfortable with quickly calculating flash.

And on the third hand, if I did need to do a lot of flash photography I wouldn't sneeze at a camera with TTL flash capability.

You have been given some good advice about the body so I will try to offer some advice about the lenses. One nice thing about the manual Nikons is their small size and light weight. They are really at their best with prime lenses and balance very well, a small selection of prime lenses is much better with these bodies in my opinion. I owned an FA after my EOS600 was stolen but kept for only 2 weeks before selling it to buy an EOS100. I tried to use the FA with a slow zoom and metz CT45 flash and it was a nightmare. The view finder was to dark to focus well and it did not balance well with the flash attached. The larger AF bodies balance much better with zooms and flashes. During the time I spent working as a cruiseship photographer there were FM and FM2 bodies supplied but there was the same problem while prime 50mm and 85mm lenses were also on board it was not possible to use these always because of space and requests for group shots. The use of large flashes and zooms meant that many of use would choose to use larger AF camera for reasons of better handling. So if you are thinking zoom lenses and large flashes you may be better off with a larger AF bodies as they will balance much better.

The small manual bodies are a pleasure to use with small prime lenses and much easier and lighter to carry around than a large AF slr with a zoom but think carefully about what you want from a camera and what kind of lenses you will use and what kind of photography you will do.