FujiGSW690II - seeking an alternative flashgun to Vivitar 283. Metz 40 MZ, maybe?

elliot_n

Hi

I've recently started using a Fuji GSW690II and I've discovered that my trusty Vivitar

283 is not the ideal flashgun for it.

The Vivitar does not fully cover the Fuji's field of view. This can be remedied with a

piece of trace stuck to the face of the flash (losing about one stop) or with a Stofen

Omnibounce (2 stops), but I would prefer a flashgun that had wider coverage as I

might get a bit more power out of it.

I also don't like the ergonomics of the Vivitar on the Fuji - I feel it sticks up too high...

I like the form factor of the (discontinued) Metz 40 MZ series. (I'm not concerned

about red-eye - I like to keep the flash as close to the lens as possible.)

It seems that the Metz can cover a 24mm lens on a 35mm camera, so should be fine

with the Fuji GSW690II.

And it seems to be infinitely adjustable (much more so than the Vivitar).

So is it a good choice?

Is the light coverage nice and even?

Do I need to get a standard adapter or will it work ok on the Fuji with the Nikon/

Canon etc adapters (this is how the flash is normally sold on ebay)?

Thanks

A swell flash I enjoyed using with Fuji 690 cameras is the Metz 34 CS-2. It a compact, lightweight, single column flash with amazing power for its size. With the wide panel, the 34 CS-2 covers the 30mm/35mm-equiv. pattern of a 65mm lens on a fuji rangefinder:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=246106&is=REG