Fujifilm X100T - slow shutter speeds, wide apertures even with high ISO

charrison

I've been using the Fujifilm x100t for a week now. I've always used film so it's a big change.

I've set the camera to shutter priority - usually at least 1/60 or 1/125th and I have the ISO fixed at 400 at least - When shooting indoors the shutter speeds feel especially slow - so I get very wide apertures automatically, even when pushing the ISO to 800 or 1600 I still don't feel much of a change. I would have no problem with my Leica M6 in the same indoor situations.

I've been through the entire menu and manual and can't see what I can change. Are there any settings I could have missed? Any ideas?

Thanks a lot in advance

I've set the camera to shutter priority - usually at least 1/60 or 1/125th and I have the ISO fixed at 400 at least - When shooting indoors the shutter speeds feel especially slow - so I get very wide apertures automatically, even when pushing the ISO to 800 or 1600 I still don't feel much of a change. I would have no problem with my Leica M6 in the same indoor situations.

Your question confuses me: If you set Shutter Priority then the Shutter Speed should be what you set: it should not vary, so I don't understand why you expect the Shutter Speed to change - if you set 1/60s then that's what it will be.

In Shutter Priority and at any set ISO, if the Light Level is too low for the camera to set the correct Aperture, then the Aperture will default to F/2 and will appear red in colour in the Viewfinder and/or the rear display.

A typical indoor scene which is lit by house lights, could warrant an exposure setting approximating: F/2 @ 1/30s @ ISO3200, so maybe the rooms are darker than you think that they are? In this case you will need to bump the ISO.

WW

Since no film exceeded a true ISO of around 1250, you should have no problem equalling that with any current digital camera.

So is indoor photography under artificial light a new venture for you? Because as previously pointed out, an exposure of 1/30th @ f/2 with ISO 3200 wouldn't be untypical of domestic room lighting. And counting, with the introduction of dim CFL and LED lighting.

Also remember that mains lighting flickers at 100 or 120 Hz, depending where you live. A shutter speed of 1/125th won't capture a full mains cycle, and may well give a darker (or banded) exposure than that indicated by a meter.

"I would have no problem with my Leica M6 in the same indoor situations."

- I don't care what the camera. When I shot film I always struggled to get a decent exposure under artificial room lighting. A soot'n'whitewash pushed image wasn't a problem, but anything with a good tonal range was a real challenge.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

I don't have much experience shooting Fuji indoors. Anyhow: Sod the ISO number it is prompting! - Digital camera manufacturers are quite free to set those and "higher" sells better. Dial in what you have to, to get the shutter speed and aperture you need and shoot. Sticking to auto ISO shouldn't harm much either.

If you really want to use a handheld meter or similar, figure out what correction factor you might need for Fuji's "digital ISO".

"...figure out what correction factor you might need for Fuji's "digital ISO"."

- Probably none.

While it's true that the ISO methodology for determining the 'speed' of digital camera sensors is a lot less specific than that for film, in practise camera makers are pretty honest with their ISO ratings in my experience.

This is in contrast to the plain silly EI ratings quoted by film makers for material like Ilford's Delta 3200.

I don't know about the X100T specifically, but I can reliably take a handheld meter reading, transfer it directly to any of my digital cameras, and get an exposure that's as accurate as I could wish for. This is absolutely necessary when it comes to off-camera flash metering, and I've yet to have to tweak the camera ISO from the indicated figure.