Fujica ST701 - battery replacement & views

<p>Hi y'all. I've a minty looking Fujica ST701 plus 55mm 1.8 Fujinon lens on the way to me from Canada. Can't wait to get my hands on this baby. =)<br /> <br /> Supposedly, the shutter works and also the film advance. No way to test the meter however. Hope it all pans out well.<br /> <br /> So, to my questions...any users of this camera? I'd highly appreciate your experience, opinions and also tips regarding the ST701. In particular, what batteries do u put in them (if u use them at all)? I've read quite a few forums and websites and they all seem to suggest either one of the following that I'm beginning to get confused as to which is the best:<br /> <br /> 1. Use 2x SR54 batteries - meter will not be accurate due to voltage difference, but able to compensate using the ASA dial. So if I'm using ASA 400 film, I have to pull it down to ASA 200 on the camera's ASA dial to get an approximately correct reading.<br /> <br /> 2. Use 2x 1.35V Weincell batteries - no problems with this, except that the batteries are quite expensive and supposedly do not last very long.<br /> <br /> 3. Use 2x size-312 hearing aid batteries, as shown here <a href="../classic-cameras-forum/00GCxa..no" target="_blank">http://www.photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00GCxa..no</a> idea as to whether this works out or not. The guy who proposed the fix didn't reply my question.<br /> <br /> 4. Meter recalibration if I want to use modern 1.5v batteries - no ASA dial compensation necessary, but I havent the foggiest idea as to how to do this and also worried it might damage the camera.<br /> <br /> Failing all of the above, I'll just shoot it sans battery and use my light meter. haha. But it'll be good to be able to check out if the meter works or otherwise.<br /> <br /> Oh, also, I'd appreciate anybody sharing their experience with this camera..is it good. so-so or bad? I also have a Spotmatic SP500 body on the way, but I'm more intrigued by this ST701.<br /> <br /> Thanks in advance all!</p>

<p>I used a Fujica STX-1 (which basically is a 701 with F/X bayonet instead of M42 mount) for many years.<br>

I don't think I needed more than 3 or 4 sets of batteries in the nearly 20 years I used it (since the batteries do only operate the meter, they last very long). All I did when I put in a new set of batteries (and I used whatever I could get), was to check the meter against the sunny-16 rule. With no battery I used I had more than 2/3 stop difference. I corrected that with the ASA setting and was done with it.</p>

<p>FWIW i have a donated Fuji ST 601. It also used mercury cells,1.35v.Replaced with almost fitting two 1,55v. Meter like Pentax Spotmatic, is a "bridge" circuit and not affected by higher voltage. Metering is dead on. Holding the meter on and adjusting shutter speed imposible..The screw mount allows me usage of Pentax Takumar lenses. Have 2 Fuji 50mm lenses,f2.2 and a f1,9.My other Fuji all plastic?uses a 6volt cell made up of 4x44,ms-76 cells..</p>

<p>If you want to stick to the correct voltage but keep costs low, I understand that some people have been able to tap the spacing rings off the outside of Wein Cell batteries so they can be refitted (and reused) on cheaper standard hearing-aid batteries.</p>

<p>Thanks all for your reply & feedback...much appreciated!</p>

<p>@RainerT: May I know what type of batteries did u use with the STX-1? It'd help greatly. I just found out that the ST701 originally required the use of EPX400 marcury batteries. Does the STX-1 also specified this EPX400 batteries as their original batteries?</p>

<p>@Jason: Jason, I'm quite sure that the ST601 can use modern batteries because they have the bridged circuit, but the ST701 does not. Do correct me if I'm wrong.</p>

<p>@Leon: Haha, I'm not pretty good with my hands, so I don't think I'll be able to modify the weincells as such...great input though!</p>

<p>Man, isn't anyone using the ST701 anymore? =)</p>

<p>Dani,</p>

<p>I don't recall all types I've used ... according to this manual ...<br>

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/fujica/fujica_stx-1/fujica_stx-1-splash.htm<br>

... the STX-1 will take LR44 as well as HR44 or SR44 (alkali mangane, mercury and silver oxides)<br>

but I also used AG13 that I took from my old poket calculator. All of them are 1.3V to 1.5V battery cells ... the STX-1 needs two of them.</p>

<p>According to this ST701 manual ...<br>

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/fujica/fujica_st701/fujica_st701-splash.htm<br>

... the ST701 wants RM400R or E400 batteries ... again, it wants two cells</p>

<p>Here's a datasheet about the ST601 ... which takes the same batteries as the 701 ...<br>

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/fujica/cameras/st601.htm<br>

... so, whatever work for Jasons 601 will do it for your 701 as well.</p>

<p>My recommendation is to use modern 1.5V cells first and check agains sunny-16 and try to correct with asa if required. Make a testfilm and see if that works. You'll still get the 1.3/1.35V cells, but they are much harder to get.</p>

<p>I have an st701 and they are solid well built cameras. The only thing I worry about is the cloth shutter. I seldom use mine anymore, but i have hundreds of Kodachrome slides I took with it many years ago. You may also want to check the light seals. It's about the right age for those to break down.</p>

<p>@Rainer: Ok Rainer, thanx for the really helpful info & links. I think I'll try sticking in a couple of silver oxide 1.55v cells in the ST701, and see how it goes. :)</p>

<p>@Steve: Yeah, the cloth shutter worries me a bit too. Would've preferred a metal shutter. How long do they usually last and if the cloth shutter does rip/tear, how easily can it be replaced?</p>

• 2 months later...