Fujica G Series (G690, GL690, GW690, GS645, GS645S, etc, etc)

tomspielman

The Texas Leica

So I've been re-evaluating what I'd like in a medium format camera over the last couple of months. I currently have a Yashica TLR and an Agfa folder. I've used a bunch of different 35mm SLRs, Range Finders, and P&S cameras.

Though not really what I was originally looking at, I've developed a mild interest in these Fujicas. They were apparently very popular in the tourism industry in Japan.

The early ones had interchangeable lenses, later ones did not. Instead different models were sold with different focal length lenses. In a way this made sense because there wasn't that much to the camera body. The shutter mechanism is part of the lens and buying another lens was almost like getting another camera anyway. Some lenses had meters built in, - the camera bodies didn't.

I'm curious if anyone in this forum has had much experience with these cameras, - good or bad.

For awhile I was thinking that a folder would be great so that I could just keep a MF camera with me in case that great photo op comes up. But, I've realized that most folders are slow shooting cameras anyway and maybe compactness isn't going to be enough to change my MF habits.

Suddenly, the wow factor of a 6X9 negative from a camera with a really good lens is starting to have its appeal. Instead of shooting MF more often, I'd just get more spectacular pictures when I did. That's the theory anyway. :)

Like many a long-lived "cult" camera lineup, the big Fuji RFs have gone thru several boom and bust cycles (insanely over-hyped praise to exaggerated fault-finding, and back again, then repeat...). To some degree, this goes in lockstep with the pricing: when they were rock bottom bargains ten years ago, people complained a lot less, now that they sell used for not-cheap asking prices, people are a bit more picky.

Quick take: the lenses are great, the shutters can have issues (like any other MF leaf shutter), the later plastic 6x7 and 6x9 bodies are thought to be distinctly cruddier and less refined than the earlier (esp in terms of film advance and shutter button linkages). Some find the RF patch markedly inferior to other similar cameras (personally I found them easier to use than the one in my current Mamiya Universal Press bodies). Shutter firing has a louder and more grating sound than you would expect: these aren't as quiet or discreet as a Rolleiflex.

The model I used was the non-folding GS645S with 60mm f/4: the most portable quick-operating MF street/travel camera I ever had. The vertical portrait orientation takes some getting used to (but would feel totally natural to someone raised with current phone cams). The slightly less bulky folding version with standard 75mm lens might suit you, if you can find one in excellent condition.

For sheer large-negative power, the nicest, most elaborate version was the earlier GL690 Professional (aka GL690III) with interchangeable lenses. These were once very hard to find, but now pop up regularly on eBay. The standard 100mm f/3.5 lens is thought to have superior bokeh to the later fixed 90mm. The GL690 is reported to have a much softer quieter firing sound than any of the fixed-lens Fujis. A 65mm wide angle was available in f/8 and f/5.6 versions, plus a 150mm f/5.6 portrait lens, and much scarcer 180mm tele and 50mm w/a lenses. With patience, you can also find a really cool version of the 100mm with built-in CdS-reading shutter-priority AE, which effectively turns the camera into a giant Konica C35 or or Canonet! Seriously considering one of these to replace my Mamiya Press system: the Fuji isn't much lighter, but for the same cost is more modern, self-contained and has better-quality 65mm & 100mm lenses.

Picture below is from The 6x9 Photography Online Resource - Fujica G690 Series

Another user report with DIY repair tips : FILM FRIDAY: The Fuji GL690, a review by Dirk Dom | Steve Huff Photo

setup.jpg.619954304a97a45c9b1d5de1238991ef.jpg

Edited by orsetto

Owned a GL690 with the 65mm f5.6 , the AE100 and 180 , thoroughly enjoyed the kit . As mentioned above all lens were great .

The size of the negatives made printing a treat . Felt good in my mechanic hands , but the kit took up quite a bit of space and

wasn't for the limp of wrist. Would never leave home without all lens, but that took up a lot of space on the motorcycle .

Unfortunately , I became somewhat obsessed with projecting my medium format slides and turned to 6x6 for that purpose, projectors

larger than 6x6 are scarce and over the moon expensive . My middle age eyes had no problems with the focusing patch and AE 100

always produced well exposed negatives and E6 . Dante Stella gives this a good review for your reading pleasure . Peter

ps: make sure the internal dark slide works , it's kinda handy if you change lens as often as I did .

Edited by peter_fowler

Im looking for two of these cameras myself. Both a GW690II and the GSW690. I was going for the GL690, but I heard issues with the curtain in it and was recommended to go with the later fixed lens ones. The cost of a lens itself for the GL is almost as much as getting the fixed lens cameras, so Im not upset at getting two cameras instead of just one. Only issue is you'll need an external light meter which is an extra thing to carry around.

Im looking for two of these cameras myself. Both a GW690II and the GSW690. I was going for the GL690, but I heard issues with the curtain in it and was recommended to go with the later fixed lens ones. The cost of a lens itself for the GL is almost as much as getting the fixed lens cameras, so Im not upset at getting two cameras instead of just one. Only issue is you'll need an external light meter which is an extra thing to carry around.

Yeah, the idea of being able to get multiple lenses sounds great but between the curtain issue and the fact that the lenses are pretty expensive makes me think twice. I know some don't like the plastic shell of the newer models but the internals are still metal and they weigh quite a bit less, which to me is a big plus. Some of my favorite pictures have been taken on a frozen lake or in a field of snow. The lighter the load, the better.

You're just as likely to get a blown film advance or shutter firing linkage in the newer fixed lens models as you would a busted dark slide roller in the GL690. The curtain isn't life or death, it just allows mid-roll lens changes in daylight (with only 8 exposures, one isn't likely to change lenses midroll very often anyway). The final 690III is a bit more reliable than earlier versions.

None of the big Fujis are as indestructible as, say, an industrial-strength Mamiya C33 TLR.: rangefinder configuration and/or lighter weight entails some compromises. Its also worth bearing mind the fixed-lens Fujis were not held in quite as high esteem in Japan as they were elsewhere: they were mostly produced for the domestic "tourist ripoff" market, akin to cruise ship photographers. Like the Mamiya 6 and 7, the spin placed on them for export positioned them in a higher "premium" retail bracket (with similar misleading expectations of durability for the higher price).

They are good, unique cameras with great lenses, but Leica M3 build quality they are not. Plus they've changed hands more frequently in the past decade of eBay MF frenzy than they did in the entire film era: more prior owners means more chance of a lunkhead who abused it. Careful shopping will net a nice example, but even a great condition Fuji might need an overhaul in near future (just like your average used Hasselblad or Rolleiflex).

Some find the RF patch markedly inferior to other similar cameras (personally I found them easier to use than the one in my current Mamiya Universal Press bodies)

You can improve your Mamiya Press RF patch by the "Blackout" method. I know the patch is small, it annoys me as well on my Super 23, but drawing a solid spot on the front viewfinder glass with a blue or black felt pen will improve the contrast of the double image quite a bit. Metho will remove the felt pen ink if you need to keep trying to get the spot the right size and in the right position.

The Press Standard is much better, it's patch is larger and square in shape. The small round RF patch in the Super and Universal was a step backwards in my opinion, but I think the reason it's so small is because once the 150mm frame line is used, the RF patch then occupies nearly half the area of the 150mm frame.

• Like 1