function that will allow the camera to take multiple shots in a

series? this is an important feature i would be interested in. im

planning on getting either a nikon or canon (not a rebel) and getting

three good primes 24, 50, 135 (i dont think my fujica lenses will

work on any other bodies, will they?). i dont want to spend a lot on

the body, i'll probably get one used, but i want something that will

grow with me for a few years. thoughts?

jessica

For a meter, I'd go to eBay and find something used. One of the simplest, easiest meters I've used is a Zeiss-Ikon Ikophot. It's a selenium powered meter, so doesn't require batteries. However, because it's selenium, it wouldn't be my first choice for using indoors or in dim light.

I've found the meter to be extremely accurate, and most can be bought for $25 or less. It also should come with a small attachment that allows you to do incident metering.

Otherwise, search for a used Gossen or Sekonic. Some of the meters use mercury cells, which are no longer available. You need to ask about that.

I can't offer any help on the AF vs. manual thing. I prefer manual.

Regarding cameras, you could start with a Nikon FM/FM2/FM3a. Excellent manual cameras with plenty of room to add bodies, a wide range of lenses -- new and used. For autoexposure, there is the Nikon FE/FE2 cameras. I've owned an FE since 1980 -- great camera and very reliable. These go for less than $200 through online auction.

For portrait work, consider the Nikkor f/2.5 105mm lens.

The reason most don't like AF cameras for doing manual focus is that the focus grip has to be brief and easy to make fast AF possible.Old MF lenses have longer grip turn distance and a lovely damped feel (but some more expensive AF lenses feel good)

<BR>Also most modern AF cameras' focus screens are too fine and bright making focus hard to judge<BR>The high speed multiple shots in series-you just need one of the faster cameras.They ALL can take shots repeatedly but the slow ones (like the rebel) only go at about 1-1.5 frames per second while better models can go much faster.

<br>The better models also have faster focus tracking to go with the frame rates.

<BR>All in all the modern cameras EASILY beat old ones in every possible way but one-they aren't as nice to hold and play with-the old things like your AX have georgeous clicking,whiring sounds and controls + cool metal feel.

<br>Which brand to go for in the long term?

<br>Canon for cost,features and most other reasons but nikon generally have better build quality.

<br>Pentax and minolta and are also good and have some excellent lenses...but the better lenses turn out to be dearer than canon and sometimes nikon!

<br>Leica and contax can be awsome to hold and use,etc,etc but be prepared to sell your kids to afford them

Adding to the above - for a meter, one fairly nice one is the Sekonic Micro Leader. That uses a CdS cell and a still-available 1.5 volt silver-oxide or alkaline battery. They turn up pretty cheaply on ebay and elsewhere. These aren't much better in low light than the best of the old selenium meters, though. Long ago I had a Sekonic Auto Leader (selenium) meter, and it represented about the peak of that type in terms of light gathering, with the added advantage that with it and a manual camera you will be entirely battery-independent.

While it's true that AF lenses are a little harder to hand-focus accurately than MF ones, the same characteristic also makes them a little faster to focus, so that if you have a good viewfinder, and are shooting a scene with adequate depth-of-field, the reduced rotation makes it pretty quick. My wife never had real problems either with her old Minolta Maxxum or her current Nikon F100, except for one of the Minolta lenses whose focusing ring is smooth and hard to find.

If you are looking to use an auto focus camera manually, your best bet is probably to go to a store and handle them to see how they suit you. Some older AF bodies are rather slow and battery hungry, making them a poor bet for fast action shots. The original Maxxum 7000, for example, could really only focus if it found a vertical line in the center of the picture. It would often hunt back and forth for focus, and could burn up a set of batteries in no time.

i'm definetely leaning towards the elan II/IIe. i want 3 good primes, something like 28/2.8, 50/1.8, 80/2.8. i have about $500 for the whole outfit. being new to autofocus, i have a few questions. what is multispot metering? what is mirror lockup? and how do autofocus points work/what is the advantage of having more?

When my AX-5 died on me back in '92, I was looking for a more sturdy manual focus like a Nikon FM2 or Canon F1 at the local camera store. But then I took a look at the brand new EOS A2 and loved its feel and the AF was incredible. I never looked back and have stuck with the EOS line since then. The majority of the lenses offer easy manual focus override without the need to flip a switch. Also you can program the AF to work by pressing a button other than the shutter release which is preferable so that you don't mess up a prefocused shot when shooting. The AF is incredibly fast and accurate which have made it a staple for sports photographers everywhere. Also a motordrive is built into the camera so you don't need any accessories beyond that.

Sell all your Fuji stuff on Ebay because it won't do you any good anymore.