Fuji X100F or Fuji X-T2 with XF 23mm f/1.4 R Lens

Greetings folks,

I never thought I would be asking this type of question, but here it goes. I can't decide between these two cameras. What I am after is sheer performance, mostly auto focus speed. I have read and viewed videos and truly I can't decide. I love street photography and that will be my main use of this. The money difference is significant and I am wondering if it is worth the difference. I do use quite a bit of my Nikon lenses at 1.4 hence my choice of lens. Having said that, F/2.0 will work for me as well. I am leaning to the X-T2 but feel I might regret not getting the X100F. Confused old bird here. What would you choose and why?

Save some $$$ and look seriously into the X100T. They're officially discounted now and dropping in price. Same goes for the X-T1. Though improved, AF speed isn't that hot on the X100F, so if "sheer performance" in AF is your goal, look elsewhere. Despite the touted improvements, I wonder if Fuji hasn't hit wall with the X100 series and delivered a new camera with marginal upgrades.

If autofocus is your goal, the XT-2 knocks it out, and the money difference is more than one feature in the XT-2. Yes the autofocus in the XT-2 is best of Fuji, weatherproofing, video, on and on. Also, the 23mm equal to 35mm in full frame is great for street Photography but so is 18mm. At least there are options with an interchangeable lens camera. In my view, when making a move like this with a Camera brand like Fuji, its a commitment, the lenses themselves urge commitment as they are the best out there. I don't blame you for the commiseration, the X100F makes it tough, but its priced in such a way I think the few hundred more for a camera like the XT-2 ends the tug.

Its a tough choice , but at the same time like someone else said here its a big difference when it comes to the final performance of the cameras. So it really depends on what you are after. I own them both, just got the X100F like 2 weeks ago. Im deeply invested in Fuji from before and started with a few compacts to the X-T1 and now the X-T2. I shoot with Nikon as well and the Fuji system was going to be my travel cameras. Now i use them more than my Nikon cameras for a lot of things. The X-T2 i would consider taking job assignments with because it has come that far. Its a beast of a little camera.

Now the X100F tugged at my heartstring in another way, and before i was getting it i was redaing up on that and a few different Leicas, primarily the Leica Q. The cost there was such a deal breaker as well as the size so in the end i got the x100f. Its a FUN camera, and like you i like street a lot so that was my main focus for that.

Before that i took my X-T2 though and used my 90 lens to take great street shots. Only problem was it was not as portable as it was with my smaller lenses any longer. Hence the X100F. I would not be lost "just" using the X-T2 for street though because as you said with something like the 23 or 35 etc its not a big camera but perfect for street as well.

Whatever u choose though you will get a great camera for sure, its just that i would really sit down and think it through to figure out what the end needs are :)

Good luck!

/Martin.

Thank folks I really appreciate the responses. As of today, I am leaning to the X-T2 and 23F/1.4

My understanding is that the lens on the X100F is the same as the X100 (which I did own for a little while) and as such, it is soft wide open. I will confess that I am spoiled by Nikon lenses wide open and it would bug me not to be able to get similar results from the Fuji. I love low light shooting so Lens aperture is important to me. But having said that, I am not sure the fuji can even focus in the dark. The reviews seem to indicate they struggle in low light. Where the Nikon is king. So after writing this response, I will be getting the X-T2. Thanks for the advise folks.

javier

23 F1.4 is a great lens. I use it on an X-Pr2 along with a 14mm, and then Leica 35 and 50s. Love the camera and with the fuji lenses autofocus is fast. XT-2 will be just as fast. Also for a little less cash you can try the Fuji 23 F2 which is supposed to be even faster and sharp wide open. Its also a little smaller than the 1.4 version. All my recent photos for the most part are taken with the Fuji

Javier, another thing, I was given a really good tip here on p.net when I was shopping by Eric from SF. Fuji will from time to time, just choose to put some of their most popular lenses on sale. You'll see them at BH, or Amazon etc. Ofttimes you can save a good couple of hundred bucks. I saved a hefty amount on 23 1.4. Also, adopter work very well, so you can use your Nikons in manual mode.