fuji x100

<p>well hi to all</p>

<p>am a new member to this forum . well i just got my first rangefinder ,, is digital not analog.<br>

so far I like ,, is amazing the quality of photos you get with this camera, any way I just want to share .</p>

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Not a rangefinder. With a rangefinder you focus by aligning two superimposed views of the scene as you rotate the focus ring of the lens. The Fuji X100 is a viewfinder camera with both automatic and manual focus methods. If you have used the latter, please tell us how it goes.</p>

<p>Sorry Charlie, the X100 is indeed considered a rangefinder, and has been discussed numerous times on this forum before. <br>

Luis, how about posting some photos you've taken with your new X100. We'd all love to see them. I've yet to see anyone post photos from this camera on this forum. So far, seems like the X100 is more or less a vaporware camera, impossible to find anywhere in the States.</p>

<p>Excuse me very much, but I do not think anyone should consider a camera that is not a rangefinder, a rangefinder. I think it has been agreed and well accepted that viewfinder cameras can be discussed in this forum along true rangefinders, but that does not make them rangefinders. If correct definitions are not followed, the whole industry will lose its history and nothing matters anymore. There is no reason to call a rangefinder something else, or to start calling all autofocusing cameras rangefinders. </p>

I'm happy you're excited about hour new camera. As you can see, there's some disagreement about whether it's a

rangefinder (IMHO, it's not) but don't let that bug you YET (you can get a M camera later to see what you're missing).

<p>Oh, dear! this is all getting a bit theological! The reason why academic discussions are so heated is because there is often so little at stake. The Bessa L is not a rangefinder but has had a long history on this forum. So a viewfinder which looks like a rangefinder is probably OK. I have an M6 and an M8 and, now, the Fuji X100. Looking through the viewfinder of the X100 and adjusting the focus is a little like twirling the lens on an M8. So, let's decide that we will or will not accept the X100 on this forum. Meanwhile this picture was one of the first I took with the X100. JPG straight out ot the camera. The M8 can't do this in my hands.</p><div>00Yi9h-357421584.jpg.00d8ccebc991ae51ae20497a3d06be77.jpg</div>

<p>Hi Luis,<br /> I would love to see Your photos. It's good idea to resize the pictures to <700 "pickles" width.<br /> And how it's Fuji X100 a rangefinder? Does it have rangefinder? Is miniature Leica copy by Minox also a rangefinder? No, it just look like one, the same with Fuji X100.<br>

IMHO term <em>Viewfinder Camera</em> would be the best to use here.</p>

<p>If we have to put the X100 anwhere, it's probably here because it handles (from what I've read) like a rangefinder, although doesn't use a range finding mechanism to achieve focus. But I would argue that it's not a "rangefinder". Are we saying that anything small that's not an SLR, is in fact a RF? </p>

<p>Lets see some pictures! I hope to buy one myself when they become available again, or wait for the X300 with interchangeable lens - you know it's coming!</p>

<p>J</p>

<p>I see that B&H Photo in New York has raised the price of the X100 now to $1399 from the original MSRP of $1199. And it is still out of stock. I wonder where people are finding this mysterious X100? It certainly isn't available here in the States.</p>

<p>To me, any camera is a "rangefinder" if it does not have a reflex housing to allow the composing of the image through the taking lens. There is no such category as a "viewfinder" camera, unless you are talking about a large format "view camera."</p>

<p>Poor Luis: his first posting and he is exposed to "the theologians." All non-SLR cameras and all Leicas are grist to the mill in this forum I think. The X100 can be considered to have an electronic rangefinder (ie AF). If not, then all discussion about the Hexar AF etc. should be verboten too.</p>
Robin Smith

An X100 is a rangefinder in the same way that my Olympus E-P1 is a DSLR. That is, those cameras are sorta, kinda, maybe a substitute, and therefore they are exactly the same thing. ;-)

I'm with Ilkka. If we can't use precise definitions on photo.net, then why have them at all?

The X100 is a "rangefinder style" camera. That much I can live with.

<p>Either way, </p>

<p>Congrats on an excellent acquisition! I'm jealous, rangefinder or not. I really want one, and would love to hear your thoughts. I'm currently shooting film only (after selling all my Nikon digital gear - D90 and DX lenses) but have been thinking of complimenting my film work with a digital. Until the X100, I had no interest in digital. </p>

<p>To me, it's the perfect camera. My only wish is that it had the ability to manual focus, as I really enjoy doing so. Also, interchangeable lens, but in a way having ONE lens is a blessing. </p>

<p>J</p>

<p>Excuse me, but other than the viewfinder which doesn't quite qualify it for the rangefinder moniker, isn't this roughly the same as paying an upper mid-range DSLR price for what has similar characteristics as an entry-level DSLR, minus the ability to change lenses and a few other advantages? Nothing against entry-level DSLRs since that's all I have myself, but then, I didn't pay $1400 for it.</p>

<p>I've had one of these on order for months, pre-paid through B&H and was told yesterday that they are starting to trickle in and will go out on a first-come, first-serve basis regardless of what one paid for it. Speaking of rangefinders ... I think dumping the autofocus and putting a true, honest-to-goodness rangefinder in this camera instead of autofocus would have been heaven on earth from the reviews I have read the images I have seen online. I'm anxiously awaiting mine.</p>

<p>Pierre<br>

the IQ of this camera is as good if not better than my D300 at low iso at high iso it is fantastic, I think the camera is well priced an equivilant Leica digital is $2000 and to equal it in a DSLR would be the same </p>

<p>Pierre, </p>

<p>It's not about specs here. The camera holds its own. You're paying for a well made, small and unobtrusive body with a great lens. It's not a "do it all" camera, and I think that's where it resembles a rangefinder the most; it's perfect for travel, walking around and light gear photography while providing excellent image quality and overall build/feel. As much as my D90 was capable of good images, it was larger, all plastic, and by the time you had a decent lens, about the same price. </p>

<p>Although many see the non interchangeable lens as a disadvantage, some would argue that it's a great advantage. </p>

<p>J</p>

<p>Congrats on your X100 Luis!<br>

I've had mine for about a month now and it is wonderful, bringing back a joy of photography that I haven't had for quite a while. You'll find you have a compact, well made camera that can hold its own down to ISO 1600 with ease. <br>

Don't be too turned off by all the naysayers here that love to castigate anyone who treads on their precious Leica territory.<br>

Go to <a href="http://www.dxomark.com">www.dxomark.com</a> and compare the X100 to the M8 and M9 sensors (color depth, dynamic range and low light capability) and you'll find you have an excellent camera.<br>

I long for the days when this forum actutally used to be SUPPORTIVE!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I've had one of these on order for months, pre-paid through B&H and was told yesterday that they are starting to trickle in and will go out on a first-come, first-serve basis </p>

</blockquote>

<p>I ordered mine from Amazon a week ago today. It shipped yesterday, and I should get it tomorrow. They didn't charge my credit card until yesterday, when it got ready to ship. I'm unsure as to why B&H would charge customers months before they actually ship. That seems wrong, and that's why they didn't get my business for this transaction. Don't get me wrong--I'm a fan of B&H. I've given them the majority of my photo purchases. They're great for items they have in stock. They seem to have some catching up to do to industry best practices when it comes to pre-ordering items, though. If it's a common item and in stock, they'll still get my business first. :)</p>

<p>Eric</p>

<p> People complain that the X100 isn't a REAL rangefinder and the lens can't be changed but ignore the fact that this is how Leica got started. Check out the Leica A , no built in rangefinder, and some were fixed lens. Link ---> http://www.cameraquest.com/leicaa.htm<br>

Here's what the X100 looks like beside a 3f with 3.5cm lens. Nice and compact and can go in a pocket just like the 3f. Can't do that with a DSLR, it's even difficult with an M Leica.</p>

<p> </p><div>00YiNk-357683584.jpg.01b4afe79e331a1f27f2d362b434f7e5.jpg</div>

<p>Just to clarify. I don't see that anyone has said one word about not allowing the X100 to be discussed here. In my opinion, this is indeed the most suitable forum for discussing it. I only objected, and still do, as did several others, to the thinking (or new definition) that any camera that is not an SLR, or a view camera, is a rangefinder. (As a curiosity, there are indeed even some rangefinder view cameras). I have seen Leica M9 listed as DSLR. I have seen the same for Olympus Pen digitals. Interchangeable lenses do not make a camera an SLR. Similarly, the lack of mirror does not make one a rangefinder. What is at stake? Only 100 years of photographic history. <br>

The X100 is a wonderful and groundbreaking camera. It is well built with a high quality lens and good sensor. It is not a replacement for an entry level DSLR. I don't think any potential buyer even considers an entry level DSLR as an alternative to buying the X100, or one of somewhat similar fixed lens large sensor cameras (X1, DP1/2, GXR). It is an actual camera that is in production, it is not vapourware, something that is not yet produced at all. Not all good things come to USA first. Clearly there is a global shortage. That may be a reason why they are raising prices.</p>

<p>To me it looks like a nice little point and shoot camera that is overpriced a $1000.00. I read the info at BHPhoto and it does not appear to have a rangefinder focusing mechanism. However I think that first unaltered jpeg looks real nice. </p>

<p>It is funny how it always comes back to price. Clearly the camera is not overpriced since the company sells all it can make and people are waiting to get more. Just in comparison, somewhat similar DSLR setup would be Canon Rebel T3 (at $600) with a 2.8/24 or 1.4/24 lens (at $380 or $1700, respectively) or Nikon D5000 ($750) with 2,8/24 ($480) or 1.4/24 lens ($2100). These comibations would cost from a minimum of $980 with a one stop slower lens, to $2850 with a lens one stop faster. So where is the X100 overpriced? To me it looks like a genuine bargain!</p>