Fuji upgrades X100 firmware, reportedly improves AF

Discussion in 'Mirrorless Digital Cameras' started by lex_jenkins, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Per a PetaPixel article, Fuji's recent firmware upgrade for the X100 reportedly improves AF significantly. There's a video link as well: http://petapixel.com/2013/10/19/fuji-delivers-major-firmware-update-x100-adds-faster-af-focus-peaking/
    Link to firmware downloads on Fuji site: http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/
    It's often amusing and occasionally even informative to read comments on these articles. On Facebook there are a few snarky jabs at Canon and Nikon over their perceived failure to respond to customer complaints. I don't know about Canon but as a longtime Nikonista I would say that Nikon often seems a bit aloof and unresponsive to specific types of customer complaints, and even to constructive specific suggestions about improving products. (And, nope, I'm not referring to the D600 oil shower kerfluffle, or even the alleged D7000 AF gripes.) Shall I wax tediously about the Nikon 1 System again, and how even those of us who enjoy the cameras are a bit disappointed by Nikon's inability to grok the market as well as the much more savvy folks at Sony? Nah, let's not.
    Anyway, good on ya, Fuji.

2. So what you're saying is: I should stop tracking used X100 prices for a while because they're going to jump. Thanks a lot Fuji! ! ;)
    Seriously though, that's great of Fuji.

3. This is the kinda of thing that makes me really look at future Fuji cameras - I have an x100 that just got better, for a 3 year old discontinued camera:)

4. This is the reason I just bought an X100S ;). Fuji really seems to listen to the concerns and needs of photographers, and it shows in their firmware updates. It's great of them to update a camera that has already been replaced. They might even lose out on a few sales since folks will stay with the X100 or even buy a used one instead of the newer model. But the goodwill will pay dividends and build brand loyalty that is much more important in the long run.
    I'm loving the X100S so far. I may dump the rest of my Nikon gear and build a bigger X system.

5. "But the goodwill will pay dividends and build brand loyalty that is much more important in the long run"...I agree 100%, Noah. Fuji is smart. It was the Fuji x100 that made me finally jump from film to digital. What a camera! And the x100s is only better. Someday, I will probably go for the x-En (n > 1). Fuji is really on a roll. Too bad Kodak, which invented the digital camera, didn't have the management structure to do what Fuji is doing.