Fuji Rangefinders - disabling the counter to minimize camera shake

elliot_n

Hi

I've been shooting an urban landscape project for the last 6 months on a Fuji GSW690II.

I always use a tripod (Manfrotto 055/Bogen 3021), and in general I try to avoid extending

the centre column. I always use a cable release. Exposures range from 1/15th to one

second. Aperture f16 to f22.

All my shots are sharp, but some are sharper than others.

As I understand it, the noise that a Fuji rangefinder makes when the shutter is released is

related to the mechanism of the roll counter on the base of the camera.

I'm not concerned about the noise, but I do worry that the counter mechanism induces a

certain amount of camera shake.

Does anyone understand how the counter mechanism works, and whether it is possible to

disable it? (Someone must, as you often see real beat-up Fuji rangefinders on eBay, with

unbelievablly low counters)

This is a genuine question, I'm not selling my Fuji, and have no interest in 'clocking' it.

- This issue was touched on in this thread from earlier today:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00CfD6&unified_p=1

Hi,

I think you can diasble the odometer, but there is a long gear which is connected to the shutter relase and I doubt if that can be disabled. If you take the winding arm off, then the top plate, then the rangefinder housing, you will see what I mean. You can observe the action of that long gear when the camera is appart by replacing the winding arm/lever and actually winding the camera and firing it with the back open. I think the noise and vibration you want to eliminate may be minimal anyhow.

Having said all that I am a beginner and I enjoy using my Fuji's.

Cheers and best of luck.

I'd be surprised if the design was not such that the shutter is clicked and done before (even if it's a fraction of a second before) the couter mechanism comes into play. I seriously hate the noise. It's awful, but worth it in the end.