Fuji GW670II Sutter operation.

deetailer

I picked up a GW670II at an action and am trying to see if it is working right before I actually buy film and try it. With no film the only way I can get the top shutter button to operate is with the back open. With no film the front button does not operate even when un-locked. Is this normal, am I doing something wrong or is it broken??

Front and top release should operate the same way, but seriously; don't be cheap, use a test film!!

That camera is going to cost you a lot in film and processing in the future - if this camera doesn't work you can reuse the test film in your next camera.

If you can't afford to waste a roll of film, you can't afford to own the camera.

Niels

You reuse it for testing, not for making images of course.

So how does just making a camera go 'click' test anything without making an image? The OP says they can already do that with the back open.

There are a multitude of things that can be wrong, and that can only (in the absence of proper test equipment) be checked by making actual images with the camera.

Focus, correct exposure, light-tightness and frame-spacing to mention only 4 such things. None of those are verified simply by running a dummy exposed film through the camera.

However, I agree that if you can't afford to use a roll of film in testing, you probably can't afford to feed that camera.

So how does just making a camera go 'click' test anything without making an image? The OP says they can already do that with the back open.

There are a multitude of things that can be wrong, and that can only (in the absence of proper test equipment) be checked by making actual images with the camera.

The text you quote was directed at Peter, not OP.

OP can’t do a click test, it obviously doesn’t click when pressing the front release.

To rule out Fujica quirks (I own a GL690 so I know for a fact they may have some) you should run a film through it.

It is unnecessary to process a film if a click test with a film fails - unless OP is fine with a nonfunctional front release button.

Niels

The simple expedient of leaving the lens-cap on would enable the shutter button(s) function to be tested with film loaded, without actually exposing the film.

That way no exposures would be wasted, and the film could be rewound and reused.

Great, you just saved OP 7€ by adding the risk of light leaks in a loosely re-wound film.

When he re-use and process that film, it will be useless to verify if the camera has light leaks.

Where’s the value in that.

Niels

...by adding the risk of light leaks in a loosely re-wound film.

Why would it be loosely re-wound?

There's always a risk of light-creep past the backing paper of rollfilm. That's why it's advised to load and unload in the shade or in dim light.

Personally, I carry strips of kitchen foil in the camera bag to wrap exposed film immediately after unloading.

I should add , that here in the great white north , a roll of cheap film and developing ( with taxes ) is pennies away from $25.00 ...

B&H Photo sells Tri-X for $6.49. Dwayne's Photo Lab processes B&W film (35mm) for $7 a roll. Total cost is $13.49 plus sales tax. Nowhere near $25.

I guess you missed the part about "the great white north " , here in Vancouver , B.C Tri-x in 120 is $14.00 a roll !

And it costs damn near $6.00 to park to go in and get your film developed ( for you can't imagine how much ) ! I know

you're just bragging about how inexpensive it is down below us . The point is , it's not loose change here to use a roll

for test purposes . You know that after a while the purchase price of the camera is almost free after a few years of

shooting film , up here for sure . Peter

I guess you missed the part about "the great white north " , here in Vancouver , B.C Tri-x in 120 is $14.00 a roll !

And it costs damn near $6.00 to park to go in and get your film developed ( for you can't imagine how much ) ! I know

you're just bragging about how inexpensive it is down below us . The point is , it's not loose change here to use a roll

for test purposes . You know that after a while the purchase price of the camera is almost free after a few years of

shooting film , up here for sure . Peter

I'm sorry to hear that. You have my sympathy.

• Like 1