Fuji GS645S - Goldilocks goes for a walk

DWScott

<p>Another package came to the door from KEH this week. The prize inside? A Fuji GS645S, rated UGLY.<br /> <br /><br />It took me a while to decide that the GS645S might be for me. I had previously had the GW690, and really loved that camera - but with some big reservations. The GW690 was REALLY big, which made me a bit self conscious to carry it. The size combined with it's classic "camera" styling made it look a bit like a clown's camera. The GW690 lens was razor sharp but I didn't like the out-of-focus areas. The lack of a meter made the camera a bit less convenient, especially on social outings (as opposed to photo-only outings.) Loading and unloading film in the GW690 could be inconvenient -- 120 spools were always recalcitrant about going in or coming back out. Finally, the 6x9 negative size was both an advantage and a disadvantage. Obviously the negative size was huge, offering great resolution and tonality. But my optical enlarger only goes up to 6x6, and I'm not interested in getting another enlarger.<br /> <br /><br />Enter the GS645S. On paper, it addressed most of my "wants" from the GW690. The 645 format works for me, I have a new 645 holder for my enlarger and already shoot 645 in my Bronica ETR. 645 also meant a smaller camera. The GS645S has a simple meter. It also has handsome styling that is similar to the GW690.<br /><br />Now I have the camera in hand, and it's time to evaluate it "in the flesh."<br /> <br /><br />Size: this camera is SMALL! It seems half the size of the GW690. It's small enough to not attract attention on the street, it weighs less than the 690, and it fits easily into a bag or backpack.<br /> <br /><br />Ergonomics/usability: the GS645S feels great in the hand. I think it's more comfortable than the 690 because of the lighter weight and the more pronounced grip, which extends both forward and aft of the camera body. The viewfinder is bright, large, and features good framelines -- just like the 690. I have easily taken to the GS645S's vertical (portrait) orientation. I shoot in portrait format at least 50% of the time anyway, so the rotated format is a bonus to me. The rangefinder patch is a bit small - definitely about half the size of the 690's. This makes positioning your eye much more important to get a clear view of the rangefinder patch. But it is definitely still usable, and the GS645S has a better viewfinder/rangefinder combo than most rangefinder cameras of any vintage. On my camera, the rangefinder is sticky. It is mostly accurate, but at either end of travel is gives up moving unless encouraged with a shake or a tap. I understand this is a common problem, but not difficult to fix -- I plan to have a local shop give it a CLA and fix the problem. It's the only thing about the camera that matches KEH's UGLY rating. Otherwise it's in lovely condition.<br />Shutter speed, aperture, film ISO, and focus are all rings on the front of the lens. Some have complained about this. It's different than many smaller-format cameras, but I find it intuitive and very usable. All the critical controls are in one place. With the exception of ISO, they all have nicely articulated levers to push the rings around. Being able to set aperture+shutter, and then rotate them together at once for different equivalent exposures, is handy in the field.<br>

<br /> <br />Film handling: Loading and unloading film is simplified by the inclusion of retractable posts on the bottom of both film chambers. Inside the camera, small release buttons allow the posts to retract. You can't forget that they are retracted, however, as they protrude slightly from the bottom of the camera. Drop the roll of film into place, and snap the post back with your thumb. Loading is also made easier by the shorter pull across the film gate. It's just less far and less unwieldy than loading the 690. Film winding is positive, and unlike the 690, only requires one stroke. (The 690 series requires two strokes, which always seemed peculiar and caught me out a couple of times when the camera wasn't cocked when I thought it was.)
</p>

<p><br />Lens quality/rendering: The 60mm Fujinon seems equally sharp in comparison with the 90mm beast of the GW690. But the bokeh (or out of focus rendering) is smoother and less jangle. I am very pleased with this lens.<br /><br /></p><div>00aI6X-459369684.jpg.c6ba3db617c8bcf7ca75832cc8be2eaf.jpg</div>

<p>So why do I call the Fuji GS645S Goldilocks? Because after the GW690 was <em>too large</em>, the GS645S is <em>just right</em>.<br>

Here it is beside one of the smallest 35mm SLRs ever made, the Pentax MX. The MX isn't dwarfed by the little Fuji. (The GW690 would have been almost as wide as both cameras together :-)</p><div>00aI6a-459371584.jpg.d9967f4e16458f838e14ab02cba535a0.jpg</div>

<p>Nice review David. I am a recent Fuji convert with my GA645Wi and I absolutely love it. I might even want to get the one with the zoom lens too. What still surprises me some is that I had virtually no awareness of these cameras previously. Not that I knew much anyway about MF, but these Fujis were far in the background for me.</p>

<p>I scarcely have touched another camera (including my Mamiya 7) since getting this Fuji! Good luck with yours!</p>