Fuji Announce X100: Fixed-Lens APS-C Digital Rangefinder

miserere_mei

<p><br />Woah! I did not see this coming at all:<br /><br />http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10091910fujifilmx100.asp<br /><br />Clearly firing across the Leica X1's bow. No idea what the expected price will be (or even if it will be marketed in Europe or the US).<br /><br />Main Specs:<br /><br /></p>

<ul>

<li>12MP APS-C CMOS sensor</li>

<li>Fixed lens: 23mm f/2 (35mm-equiv., meaning 35mm in 35mm equivalent)</li>

<li>Hybrid viewfinder</li>

<li>ISO 100 - 128000 [sic] in expandable mode. DPR got a bit enthusiastic with the zeroes here :-)</li>

<li>5 fps</li>

<li>Dimensions: 127(W) × 75(H) × 54(D) mm</li>

<li>Frickin' gorgeous retro body design</li>

</ul>

<p><br /><br />Thumbs up to fuji (although I'm scared to find out the price).</p>

<p>Could this be Javier's perfect street camera...?</p>

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>This one gets me jaw dropping. I can't tell how big or small from the picture with no relative comparison. Is it about the size of a typical rangefinder. Is this targeted like a rangefinder comeback in digital. My friend just got his M9 with full frame sensor for 6.5K body only. And I truly wonder what market is this camera going to go as a rangefinder digital on aps-c 12 mp. I want one for sure and have one for Javier for street shooting in 23mm f/2.0. Any words on the crop factor, is that along 1.5x or something different? What is the fuss with hybrid viewfinder.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Looking at the photos, it would appear that aperture is controlled via an aperture ring on the lens, while shutter speed is a dial on the top of the camera. EV comp is also a dial on the top plate. If ISO can be controlled via the lever-dial at the rear, I could be in heaven.</p>

<p>Oh boy...</p>

<p>Hin, it's an APS-C sensor, same size as in Pentax DSLRs, so yes, 1.5x crop factor.</p>

<p>Some sizes in mm, W x H x D (weight):</p>

<ul>

<li>Fuji X100: 127 × 75 × 54 (???gr)</li>

<li>Pentax MX: 135.8 x 82.5 x 49.3 (495gr)</li>

<li>Pentax ME Super: 131.5 x 83 x 49.5 (445gr)</li>

<li>Leica X1: 124 x 59.5 x 50 (330gr)</li>

<li>Leica M9: 139 x 80 x 37 (589gr)</li>

<li>Canon G11: 109 x 78 x 48.3 (375gr)</li>

</ul>

<p>Pentax and Leica M9 camera weights listed for body only.</p>

<ul>

</ul>

<p>Wouldn't it be wonderful if Pentax fills this niche market instead of coming up with another aps-c dslr. But Pentax does not have rangefinder in the past but we all love the appeal with MX or LX in a dSLR or MILC. Perhaps some ergonomics to tune up an LX to have the K7 feel and blessings.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Looks like early next year though. Bummer. So I will get that LX-5 this week. I did make up my mind, that I want that camera and a few months to save for it. <br>

Having owned many fuji cams, I have good iso performance to look forward to and with no shutter, it will be quiet. Man I can't wait!</p>

<p>This really looks like the Hexar. I was thinking of Voiglander Bessa also. I know my buddy good enough and here is his rangefinders collection and his Leica M9 digital arrived last week and not in this picture with his rangefinder collection. Picture link back to his flickr page, you can find more on M9 later on on his flickr stream, he only has 1 picture on his M9 so far. <br /> <a href=" lyf_20100716_RF_005 src="http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4082/4801309822_a88122fd62_z.jpg" alt="" width="640" height="426" /></a></p>

<p>I asked my friend of his favorite film rangefinders after the M7, he did pick Hexar as his second. I was hoping he likes Bessa as it is more affordable to own and newly built without having to bet on the seller's honesty and mercy.</p>

<p>I wish Pentax consider the niche market in this area. If not rangefinders, find something like a digital MX and LX with weather seal.</p>

<p>Funny, this sort of hybrid viewfinder was rumored to be on the K-7 before release!!</p>

<p>This camera looks like a winner. Fuji has never been into volume sales for it's DSLR or it's film medium format systems, my guess is this will be pricey and not aimed at mass market.</p>

<p>Few comments on the camera:</p>

<p>I love the analog controls. The analog shutter speed dial along with the analog aperture and the A setting are just the best retro/functional design I have ever seen to date.</p>

<p>The camera is by far one of the classiest cameras I have seen in the digital era.</p>

<p>I've had 2 digital compacts with high quality fujinon glass, and I can say these are impressive lenses. I'm sure an f/2 prime will be just about flawless considering how well digital lens corrections have been implemented.</p>

<p>As an addendum, and in reference to what Hin is saying, this looks like the equivalent of the digital K1000 (or rather MX) a lot of people wanted from Pentax.</p>

<p>It's odd that Pentax had no desire to make a digital K1000 and here Fuji comes and makes one.</p>

<p>As a note, I'm not comparing the K1000 to this in size, but the control layout being all analog and the metal build just screams that sort of camera. I suppose the size of it would make it much more like an MX in terms of Pentax cameras.</p>

<p>Again though, I think it bears noting 1) This doesn't appear to be a camera designed and probably priced for mass market. I'd be shocked if this comes in below $1500, which might not be ridiculous, but when people complain about an SLR system costing $2000-3000 I can't imagine many people buying a $1500 fixed lens camera 2) this is definitely a niche design from a company that is probably less a player in digital cameras than just about anyone still making high end equipment, it actually makes more sense they would come out with something like this than any of the "bigger players" and in this instance Pentax is a bigger player based on Fuji's almost non existent market share.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>X100: Fixed-Lens APS-C Digital Rangefinder</p>

</blockquote>

<p>According to dpreview specification and the pictures, this X100 is <strong>not</strong> a rangefinder.</p>

<p>Great camera, great design, price should be around $500-$600 (just guessing). Still not many people will buy it because most of us will shy away a fixed lens camera. But I really want one, I'll wait a little for the price to go down a little, then I'll get it</p>

<p>Justin, I agree, and I'd actually be surprised if the price were as low as $1,500. As for number of people buying it, I'll let you know that Leica are doing very well with the X1 (by Leica standards) and for a while they were hard to find in stock. I suspect those same people might be considering the Fuji X100, and if it costs $1,500-2,000, they might be looking at their X1 thinking <em>WTF?</em>, given that it has no viewfinder and a 1-stop slower lens.</p>

<p>In case you haven't noticed, the blogsphere and forumshpere is buzzing with excitement over this camera; it's crazy! Over on the rangefinder forums there are people putting their cars up for sale already :-D</p>

<p>Of course, there are also plenty who are saying <em>Fuji were sooo close, if only the lenses were interchangeable!</em> You can't please everyone. But I do agree on a certain level: if this body were priced at $2,000 and the lenses were under $1,000 each and the mount could take an M mount adapter, Fuji would be swimming in money by Q2 of 2011.</p>

<p>I am guessing it will be around $2000.00 and No way it will be in $500-600 range. The Sigma DP2s cost $700.00 but those DP cams cost $1000.00 when they first came out. Being that this is a Fuji nitch deal like Justin said, it will cost between $1500.00 and $2000.00 and if it performs like I believe it will, it will be worth it to me atleast. In reading The Fuji release, they said they have been paying attention to what people want. It apears they have listened. I could see this becoming the Rolls of street shooting!</p>