Frozen FOOMI

mukul_dube

My small Leitz ball head, which is named FOOMI or 14105, is jammed. Nothing moves. It has not been used for a couple of years and has sat on the dining table all along. Attached is a photo (found on the Net) which shows a unit identical to the one I have. Any ideas on getting it free? All I can think of is acetone.

1621842831_Foomi14105.JPG.234835f26fbb286bcc750c1b29885a0c.JPG

These are all metal - WD 40 or another penetrating oil should do the trick. Gentle tapping will help move the liquid into the joint. I have a similar, but I suspect newer version which lacks what appears to be a screw head opposite the locking handle - you might try (gently) to remove that if possible to get more lubricant / solvent in. Great little heads - good luck with it!

Yep, agree with all the preceding advice. If all else fails (and I've done this a couple of times), just take it your local GP and have them hit it with some nitrogen. They have supplies (at least here, and yours should) for 'burning off' keratoses, early stage BCC's, blah, blah. If you've been in the sun, you know the routine. It's worked for me with frozen battery covers, locked screws, etc. Or you can get some liquid nitrogen from a motor parts supplier. It's an idea - as said, if all else fails, try it. By the way, all else said, it's an elegant piece. Arthur (apiarist1)

Thank you, all. I shall try those which I can try. I do not know if WD40 is to be had in India. I have no hair dryer. The biggest problem is that I can no longer go about to look for things like liquid nitrogen. Sandy, I did remove the screw on the other side from the locking control; but I couldn't see where it led.

The ball and socket may have galled together. Try placing it in a freezer for 24 hours, then take it out and carefully pour boiling water on just the socket. Wearing gloves you may be able to get it to release. I can't recommend WD 40, but there is a solvent used by the aircraft industry called "Kroil" that is a superior penetrating solvent used to take apart frozen components. It takes time with soaking and vibrations, but it does work. Smithsonian NASM uses it for restoration projects.
  • Like 1

Thank you. I shall keep that as my last alternative.

mukul_dube, as an aside, where in India are you? What's the weather like there? Good luck with your efforts on the FOOMI. My partner and I have been to India (now three times; the second time was disastrous, with my rescue by the Ram Mohan Lohia Memorial Hospital in Dehli a Godsend). Good luck with the repair. Look forward to photos of its use. Regards, Arthur (apiarist1)

Arthur, I have been in Delhi since I came here in 1970 to earn a master's degree.

Thank you mukul_dube. I intrude. I suspect, though could be disabused, that you have a story to tell, and of course, like many stories, they may not be told. Masters?. What was your area? I will look forward to your photos. I've attended to your posts. Impressed. My spouse, and I, and her 45 year old disabled son (he has a significant cognitive disability) go to Canberra in the next week for my graduation 'ceremony'. LOL, a post grad degree in theology. I have asked people to refer to me as 'your eminence', knowing that it taints, implicates, me in the tragic story of church abuse. There you go. Keep safe. As a throwaway, an image, which I'm sure I've posted before, a real person, where I live. Again, keep safe. Hail an well met, mukul_dube

xmas2.thumb.jpg.cd04bd7471a7e57d66c39664b8df30e7.jpg

Your Eminence, what did the subject of your photo think of it? I'm assuming he saw it.

To all others: WD-40 and a bit of muscle fixed the ball head. To be honest, as my hands now have little gripping strength. I used a pair of pliers on the locking key/control/handle -- with a small piece cut from the discarded tube of a bicycle tyre. The FOOMI now works well and is unmarked.

• Like 1

Yes, he liked it. I wander the streets of my small, rural hinterland hamlet, and photograph - usually with my monochrom and go to lens, a 75mm voigtlander, though sometimes with another rangefinder and FP4. Usually a bessa, sometimes one of my favourites, a retina IIc, and I've just had CLA'd a Canon 7 I bought on eprey which I'm going to use over the next few days. The deal with all those who give me permission to photograph them is that I get them a 5x7 print (done at a nearby K-mart - something like Wal-mart - for a pittance, I think about 8 - 12 cents). I am glad FOOMI now works and is unmarked. Bravo and regards.