Front element chip Canon 16-35mm f2.8

hjoseph7

I recently a purchased a Used Canon 16-35mm II f2.8 . The seller said it was in "Bargain Condition" . When I finally got the lens it was in almost 'Mint" condition. I thought the seller made a huge mistake and sent me the wrong lens. It wan't until I began to clean the glass with a micro-fiber cloth that I noticed there was a tiny chip on the front element. Those of you who own this lens know that there is a protruding bubble like glass element behind the front glass element.

Well the chip is on the bubble like protruding glass element . It is really small and so far I have not noticed any effect on the final image. Still it bothers me. I'm wondering whether I should send the lens to Canon or just leave well enough alone ?

I trip to Canon and subsequent replacement of the front element is likely to turn your "bargain" priced used lens into something costing quite a bit more. I have heard (though I have no specific evidence to back this up), that dirt and damage to the front element is less of an issue than damage to the rear element. If the lens is sharp and you are happy with the results then keep it. If not, return it to the seller for a refund, if possible.

If the images are good, enjoy your bargain. I'm not clear where this chip is. Is it on the exterior surface because somebody bumped something with it, or is it an internal defect?

Exterior defects can be covered with a dot of black paint, but I doubt it's worth the trouble and the cure might be worse than the disease.

Definitely not worth sending to Canon. I use wide angle lenses with chips/marks.

The extent of the effect will depend on the size of the chip. If you ever place the sun or other point light source, where the chip is, you will get noticeably worse flare.

Since your lens has a short minimum focussing distance of about 10" you may actually see the damage in a photo taken at high aperture and close to the hyperfocal focus point, since this is when the chip is in its most focussed state.

You are most likely able to see the damage in a photo when the chip is placed in a solid light background like the sky or a wall. In these instances it is usually fairly easy to "clone" out using software. If the chip is in a busy random area of a photo, like tree limbs/leaves, you will never be able to find the damage.

With some quick test shots you should be able to determine the extent of the damage caused by the chip. Then you will know what to look for in a photo going forward and how to minimize the effect.

• Like 1

This:

With some quick test shots you should be able to determine the extent of the damage caused by the chip.

In general, the farther from the sensor the damage or dirt is, the less it matters. However, depending on the chip and how you use the lens, it might have an impact.