"From The Gallery"

jeffrey moore

I just wanted to pass on to the photo.net administration that I really like

the "From The Gallery" feature on the home page. It's nice to be just a click

away from 18 quality images, diverse in subject matter--and different ones

every day at that. I hope that this is a permanent feature of photo.net.

Thanks, Jeffrey, and I'm glad that you like it. The idea came from <a href="http://www.rura.org/shimon/">Shimon Rura</a>, one of our bright young programmer/entrepreneur friends here in Boston. He left it us grizzled old leftover-from-the-1990s programmers to execute, of course... (i.e., send the punk some email and tell him to supply us with the SQL and ImageMagick code next time instead of just the idea)

I like it too, but in terms of home page design, perhaps it is attractive because of the riot of color it introduces-something conspicuously (and deliberately, I think) absent from photo.net upto now.

IMHO and

OTOH, I've liked photo.net for holding onto the clean white look with unfussy text formats all these years (notwithstanding the introduction of the POW in the previous version).

Visually speaking of course, the new feature draws the eye strongly to the right, away from the shopping and other text sections, and makes the whole page seem unbalanced. Maybe a column one thumbnail wide might be better?

But given that the home page is a rework in progress I trust that all good things will happen in time...

If this selection is based solely on the average ratings (as it seems), then I'm afraid it may well be another nasty contribution for the return in force of the mate-rating activities. I like a lot this idea too, but perhaps by choosing the rate recent average or the number of comments or even a mix of different ratings sorting and photo categories/genres, wouldn't incentivate so much all the silly ratings competition we see.

all good, I like it too but I notice that the POW melted away. now you have to be aware that there is a POW and look for the link in order to see the image. actually the multiple "picture of the day" kind of display replaced the POW. Why can the POW not be part of this main page display anymore?