from Nikon to Fuji

<p>I've been on the fence for some time now on which direction I was taking my photography tools. I couldn't decide to stay with Nikon and upgrade my D7000 that I've been using for years to D610 or D7200. So I took a 180* turn and went mirror less with the Fuji XT1. It looks like it has great image quality that rivals FF sensors. Time will tell. At least it looks cool :)</p>

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Kyle, glad to hear another person had made the move to mirrorless. The camera really is nothing more then just a tool but it is nice to feel a connection between yourself and the instrument you use to make are or produce work for a client. The XT1 is a gorgeous body and sometimes I regret choosing my A7 over the Fuji. But I know had I went with the XT1 I would have had the same periodic feelings about not choosing the Sony.</p>

<p>The Fuji X cameras benefit from an envious selection of lenses for sure. I wish Sony had such a focused and thoughtful plan for their lens lineup as Fuji had. They are catching up with some nice Ziess offerings but they are still behind in this aspect.</p>

<p>Even though I shoot full frame now I sort of miss the versatility of crop sensor. Yes, the FF depth of field is nice and correct field of view with old lenses and all that. But sometimes I wish I still had the extra speed my Speedbooster gave me on my old NEX 7. The Fujis are simply a great platform for Speedboosters and I still may have to purchase an X camera in the future.</p>

<p>But anyway, I hope you are happy with you selection. It is a wonderful camera to be sure. Cant wait to see some images from it.</p>

<p>Kyle, I; have transitioned to a hybrid Nikon + Fuji user over the last year- a big step for someone who has Nikon lenses going back for 50 years. I had a short experience with the Sony NEX-6 but never really felt comfortable with it. Having purchased the Fuji, I think the X-T1 with its small size and complement of lenses offers a great alternative to my Nikon gear for a number of situations. I too am impressed with its image quality, especially with the Fuji 10-24 mm f/4 lens for landscapes. The Fuji isn't going to replace my Nikon system-but at the same time it replaces the 20+lbs. of Nikon gear for travel. Today I went to a family get together, taking my Fuji X-T1. Tomorrow morning, I'm off to do some architectural shots with my D800, 14-24 mm f/2.8 lens and an inordinately heavy tripod. It still boils down to the best tool for you in the situation. Looking at your portfolio, I think you are really going to enjoy the X-T1</p>

Just be careful of Fuji lens addiction. The lenses are so good, before you know it you'll have dropped a couple thousand

on a kit of primes and then you'll want a second body so you can have your 23 and your 56 at the same time.

<blockquote>

<p>I will get the 35 prime lens first, then the 56 and maybe an X100t for second body</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Fuji has some of the exact lenses which Nikon conspicuously doesnt make for DX: the 14/2.8, the 16/1.4, the 23/1.4, two pancakes, the 56/1.2, the forthcoming 90/2...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>there are those who say it's worth it.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>a fast/wide prime for APS-C is totally worth it. hard for me to justify right now, because i love the 14/2.8, but this is exactly the lens Nikon should have made but didn't. that's one reason Fuji is winning right now. <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1138987-REG/fujifilm_xf_16mm_f_1_4_r.html">here's</a> the B&H link btw. hopefully, it will go on sale in a few months. </p>

<p>I have never used a Fuji camera, but I know they're terrific. Just looking at the reviews on Steve Huff's site can confirm that. I found out about how good the Fujis are after I bought my second Sony (A7). Perhaps it would have been a tougher decision had I been aware of how good the Fujis actually are.</p>

<p>I think I'd like to add a Fuji (and a Leica) to the Sony kit. I'd buy a DSLR if I was shooting fast moving sports (but not without a comparison), but other than that, mirrorless systems are the smarter choice, I think.</p>

<p>I've been following these postings with interest.</p>

<p>Three or four months ago, I decided that after 30 years I could no longer hump my big Nikons - age and health problems - and bought an XE2 with the 18-55. It produced - most of the time - truly good images. I was impressed. However, now and again, perhaps sometimes a bit more often, I got them badly out of focus. All the data said they should be perfect, and in exposure terms they were always fine.</p>

<p>A problem with the XE2 was the viewfinder - I wear glasses. I bought an XT1 plus the 55-200 and 35mm lenses. Of course, we can all get a duff image, but I continued to get them more often than I cared for. With my Nikons that was rare event. <br>

I had just about concluded that it was an intermittent problem with the XE2, and wrote to Fuji about it. I await a reply.</p>

<p>On Wednesday of this week, my wife and I went to some very fine gardens. Lovely weather. I just used the XT1 with the 18-55. I took 200 images both raw and jpg fine. When I loaded them onto the computer, it was clear that they were super quality, some, indeed, superb. That was confirming my suspicion that it was the XE2 that was the culprit. Then, I came to one. Nothing whatever in focus. Yet in the centre of the image was a stone fountain, perhaps 10 yards away, so there should have been no issue in focussing terms, but as I say absolutely nothing sharp. The shot had not been snatched. The image replicated frames I have had in the past.</p>

<p>On an earlier posting advice was given to switch off the ois when shutter speeds were high. I've tried that. No noticeable difference in the focus issue.</p>

<p>Having checked back, it seems I can get this sort of problem occasionally with all three lenses when I shouldn't. Thus, most of the time I get quality that is certainly as good as my Nikon lenses could produce, yet, for no apparent reason, some duff ones. I'm now swinging to the conclusion that it is a body function question, not an lens one.</p>

<p>Any similar experiences?</p>

<p>I just received the Fuji kit last night, and there is going to be a getting use to curve for sure. It is quite a bit smaller than my D7000, and all the controls are obviously different. I have 3 batteries for it as I understand mirror less cameras go through them quickly. The first thing that I noticed that I don't care for, that never occurred to me, is the tripod mount covers the battery door. This will be inconvenient. Maybe the battery grip will help with that.</p>

<p>Well....I have buyers remorse. The camera isn't what I expected, sure I thought there would be a learning curve. One of the reasons I wanted to go mirror less was to view the exposure as I was changing my shutter speed, aperture, or iso. but this camera isn't user friendly at all or I'm just not getting. Thinking of returning it and getting another Nikon DSLR, maybe D7200 or D610.<br>

I really wanted to like this system, I was mostly into the lenses they offer for the crop sensors.</p>

<p>I just had one come in the mail today, and I'm loving it. But I'm already used to Fuji controls. Anything in particular I can tell you?</p>

<p>It's important to upgrade to the newest firmware for the body and lens - with Fuji, firmware gives you big performance improvements. Preview Exposure is a setting under Screen Set-Up. And make sure to use the Display button to put display mode on Custom to get a live histogram. If it's too cluttered, you can turn off some of the display elements in Display Custom Settings, also under Screen Set-Up.</p>