from Nikon to Fuji

Discussion in 'Mirrorless Digital Cameras' started by kylebybee, Jun 21, 2015.

1. I've been on the fence for some time now on which direction I was taking my photography tools. I couldn't decide to stay with Nikon and upgrade my D7000 that I've been using for years to D610 or D7200. So I took a 180* turn and went mirror less with the Fuji XT1. It looks like it has great image quality that rivals FF sensors. Time will tell. At least it looks cool :)

2. Kyle, glad to hear another person had made the move to mirrorless. The camera really is nothing more then just a tool but it is nice to feel a connection between yourself and the instrument you use to make are or produce work for a client. The XT1 is a gorgeous body and sometimes I regret choosing my A7 over the Fuji. But I know had I went with the XT1 I would have had the same periodic feelings about not choosing the Sony.
    The Fuji X cameras benefit from an envious selection of lenses for sure. I wish Sony had such a focused and thoughtful plan for their lens lineup as Fuji had. They are catching up with some nice Ziess offerings but they are still behind in this aspect.
    Even though I shoot full frame now I sort of miss the versatility of crop sensor. Yes, the FF depth of field is nice and correct field of view with old lenses and all that. But sometimes I wish I still had the extra speed my Speedbooster gave me on my old NEX 7. The Fujis are simply a great platform for Speedboosters and I still may have to purchase an X camera in the future.
    But anyway, I hope you are happy with you selection. It is a wonderful camera to be sure. Cant wait to see some images from it.

3. I will post pic's.....it arrives this Thursday. Just in time for me to get a little familiar with it before July the 4th weekend! :)

4. Kyle, I; have transitioned to a hybrid Nikon + Fuji user over the last year- a big step for someone who has Nikon lenses going back for 50 years. I had a short experience with the Sony NEX-6 but never really felt comfortable with it. Having purchased the Fuji, I think the X-T1 with its small size and complement of lenses offers a great alternative to my Nikon gear for a number of situations. I too am impressed with its image quality, especially with the Fuji 10-24 mm f/4 lens for landscapes. The Fuji isn't going to replace my Nikon system-but at the same time it replaces the 20+lbs. of Nikon gear for travel. Today I went to a family get together, taking my Fuji X-T1. Tomorrow morning, I'm off to do some architectural shots with my D800, 14-24 mm f/2.8 lens and an inordinately heavy tripod. It still boils down to the best tool for you in the situation. Looking at your portfolio, I think you are really going to enjoy the X-T1

5. Kyle,
    I have also been scrutinizing the imagery, and I agree with you. Fuji is on it!

6. Hello Kyle, I've swapped from a full frame Nikon D700 to a Fuji X-T1 and haven't had regrets for a minute. My back and shoulders are happier, too. :)

7. congrats kyle... i have 2x XE1 and a bunch of lenses. i think for an APS-C shooter the Fuji is the way to go, hard to get excited about Nikon's DX lens offerings.

8. it

it

I use FF DSLRs and XT1.
    Focusing speed, accuracy and file quality much much better on the FF, but the XT1 is great for what it is.

9. Just be careful of Fuji lens addiction. The lenses are so good, before you know it you'll have dropped a couple thousand
    on a kit of primes and then you'll want a second body so you can have your 23 and your 56 at the same time.

10. I will get the 35 prime lens first, then the 56 and maybe an X100t for second body

11. Saving weight was one of my justifications for switching from a D300 with 18-200mm zoom to an EX1 with 18-55mm & 50-230mm zooms. It won't take much more Fuji to surpass the weight of my Nikon.

12. I will get the 35 prime lens first, then the 56 and maybe an X100t for second body​
    Fuji has some of the exact lenses which Nikon conspicuously doesnt make for DX: the 14/2.8, the 16/1.4, the 23/1.4, two pancakes, the 56/1.2, the forthcoming 90/2...

13. Eric Arnold: 16 mm f/1.4, cannot see it in BH, is it announced?

14. B&H sells that lens. Search for Fuji 16mm XF. It's $999 but there are those who say it's worth it.

15. there are those who say it's worth it.​
    a fast/wide prime for APS-C is totally worth it. hard for me to justify right now, because i love the 14/2.8, but this is exactly the lens Nikon should have made but didn't. that's one reason Fuji is winning right now. here's the B&H link btw. hopefully, it will go on sale in a few months.

16. I believe you. I have the 18, 35 and 56 and they're all fantastic. Even the 18, which some people don't like, is on par with
    most companies' high grade lenses.

17. I have never used a Fuji camera, but I know they're terrific. Just looking at the reviews on Steve Huff's site can confirm that. I found out about how good the Fujis are after I bought my second Sony (A7). Perhaps it would have been a tougher decision had I been aware of how good the Fujis actually are.
    I think I'd like to add a Fuji (and a Leica) to the Sony kit. I'd buy a DSLR if I was shooting fast moving sports (but not without a comparison), but other than that, mirrorless systems are the smarter choice, I think.

18. it

it

I just use the 18 and 35. Samples here, here, here and here.
    They are great lenses, especially for the price and size.

19. I've been following these postings with interest.
    Three or four months ago, I decided that after 30 years I could no longer hump my big Nikons - age and health problems - and bought an XE2 with the 18-55. It produced - most of the time - truly good images. I was impressed. However, now and again, perhaps sometimes a bit more often, I got them badly out of focus. All the data said they should be perfect, and in exposure terms they were always fine.
    A problem with the XE2 was the viewfinder - I wear glasses. I bought an XT1 plus the 55-200 and 35mm lenses. Of course, we can all get a duff image, but I continued to get them more often than I cared for. With my Nikons that was rare event.
    I had just about concluded that it was an intermittent problem with the XE2, and wrote to Fuji about it. I await a reply.
    On Wednesday of this week, my wife and I went to some very fine gardens. Lovely weather. I just used the XT1 with the 18-55. I took 200 images both raw and jpg fine. When I loaded them onto the computer, it was clear that they were super quality, some, indeed, superb. That was confirming my suspicion that it was the XE2 that was the culprit. Then, I came to one. Nothing whatever in focus. Yet in the centre of the image was a stone fountain, perhaps 10 yards away, so there should have been no issue in focussing terms, but as I say absolutely nothing sharp. The shot had not been snatched. The image replicated frames I have had in the past.
    On an earlier posting advice was given to switch off the ois when shutter speeds were high. I've tried that. No noticeable difference in the focus issue.
    Having checked back, it seems I can get this sort of problem occasionally with all three lenses when I shouldn't. Thus, most of the time I get quality that is certainly as good as my Nikon lenses could produce, yet, for no apparent reason, some duff ones. I'm now swinging to the conclusion that it is a body function question, not an lens one.
    Any similar experiences?

20. I just received the Fuji kit last night, and there is going to be a getting use to curve for sure. It is quite a bit smaller than my D7000, and all the controls are obviously different. I have 3 batteries for it as I understand mirror less cameras go through them quickly. The first thing that I noticed that I don't care for, that never occurred to me, is the tripod mount covers the battery door. This will be inconvenient. Maybe the battery grip will help with that.

21. Well....I have buyers remorse. The camera isn't what I expected, sure I thought there would be a learning curve. One of the reasons I wanted to go mirror less was to view the exposure as I was changing my shutter speed, aperture, or iso. but this camera isn't user friendly at all or I'm just not getting. Thinking of returning it and getting another Nikon DSLR, maybe D7200 or D610.
    I really wanted to like this system, I was mostly into the lenses they offer for the crop sensors.

22. I just had one come in the mail today, and I'm loving it. But I'm already used to Fuji controls. Anything in particular I can tell you?
    It's important to upgrade to the newest firmware for the body and lens - with Fuji, firmware gives you big performance improvements. Preview Exposure is a setting under Screen Set-Up. And make sure to use the Display button to put display mode on Custom to get a live histogram. If it's too cluttered, you can turn off some of the display elements in Display Custom Settings, also under Screen Set-Up.

23. Thanks Andy, how do you find out what firmware version the camera has?

24. Dumped my Nikon stuff over a year ago for the Fuji100S then T. Never looked backed.

25. Hold down DISP while turning the camera on. Current is 3.11.
    Firmware downloads are here: http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/fw_table.html
    You can put the firmware file on an SD card, making sure the file name is unchanged, and then bring up the firmware screen (DISP + switch on) on the camera to install.

26. Mirrorless is great. My go-to cameras for general use, especially indoor portraits. Compact and light weight, focusing on the LCD is fine, manual focus lenses are a pleasure to use, works for me for most photography except long tele (e.g. shooting birds).

27. Wow..I must have gotten a camera that has been on the shelf for a while...version 1.1. I'll do the upgrade and see if there is a change, although part of what I don't like is that the fact that it's not second nature like my Nikon (learning curve)

28. wifi app won't communicate with my iPhone 6, I've downloaded the correct app from Fujifilm, the camera just won't connect. The phone shows the the camera's wifi in the wifi settings. any trouble shooting tips for this or should I contact Fuji?

29. There are a couple of different apps but the one you want is called FUJIFILM Camera Remote. You have to put the
    camera in WiFi mode, go to iPhone settings, pick the camera WiFi network and then go to the app and Browse Camera.
    One difficulty is that if you leave browse more the camera will end the WiFi connection and you're in range of one of your
    usual networks, the phone will get on it and you'll have to go repeat the steps to reconnect to the camera.

30. Thank you. It finally worked after I moved away from my modem. And I'm not as disenchanted with camera as I first was....I just need to give it time and get used to the different interface.

31. There's also a new firmware coming out in a few days that includes all the AF improvements that the X-T10 has.

Have you been trying out the film modes? Another thing I like is that you can use the custom settings to save settings for
    different shooting styles, so you can start to get pretty good JPGs. Then you flip through the saves in the Q screen, upper
    left box. H tone and S tone are also very useful adjustments.

32. Nearly a year ago, I went from a D7000 and a nice kit of glass, to the X-T1 and eventually, several primes, and the 10-24 f4. The learning curve was much steeper than I'd expected, but in my opinion, unless you shoot sports or have a need for lenses in excess of 200mm, Fuji is the way to go. Lightening the load is a nice + too. Although the look and feel alone might not be worth making the switch, the image quality is. I'm taking more shots than ever, and my keep rate is a fair amount higher than it was with the Nikon. It's all a little cult-like, similar to having an early Mac when some of the PC guys didn't "get it."

33. Nearly a year ago, I went from a D7000 and a nice kit of glass, to the X-T1 and eventually, several primes, and the 10-24 f4. The learning curve was much steeper than I'd expected, but in my opinion, unless you shoot sports or have a need for lenses in excess of 200mm, Fuji is the way to go. Lightening the load is a nice + too. Although the look and feel alone might not be worth making the switch, the image quality is. I'm taking more shots than ever, and my keep rate is a fair amount higher than it was with the Nikon. It's all a little cult-like, similar to having an early Mac when some of the PC guys didn't "get it."

34. Hope its ok to ask this question here. When I take shot using the B&W filter in camera and then down load into Lightroom CC it changes back to color picture, I'm shooting in raw. My wife has the same issue with her Panasonic FZ200 hybrid camera and she uses Aperture. I installed the SD card into my card reader slot on my iMac and when I ejected it and put it back in camera and viewed the photos in camera they were B&W as shot. what gives?

35. I think you need to use JPEG or JPEG plus RAW to see the black and white effects. One of the attributes of the Fuji is that the need to use RAW is unnecessary anymore because the JPEGs are soooo good out of the camera, or so the Fuji-cult says.

36. When you shot in raw, it saved the data from the sensor with a tag that says it was shot in mono. Lightroom doesn't read
    that tag, it just applies it's defaults when it interprets the raw data. Lightroom (newer versions) doors have an option in the
    develop panel, way at the bottom of the right side, to change the processing from Adobe Standard to one of their
    approximations of a Fuji film mode.

37. When you choose B&W and a filter effect (e.g. red or green filter) it will only affect the JPEG version if you're shooting RAF+JPEG but the RAW file (RAF) records the data as seen by the sensor and will be a color RGB (or sRGB) three layer image as the one you'd get if shooting color (the same apply to film modes).
    The reason why you see it in B&W in the camera when you shoot only RAW is because it shows you a generated JPEG to allow the image to be seen on the LCD, as RAW is just data and not a format you can see. To generate this small embedded JPEG file the camera takes into consideration all your settings and adjustments as usual, thus what Andy refers as tag but this information is not limited to color mode.
    Even if new Adobe or any other software is able to read this information and take it to offer a first view for your RAF file conversion, in this case showing you a B&W image, it will be just that - a snapshot for a possible conversion result because all the color information is still there and the original file is not modified. Therefore, you will be able to change the B&W aspect of the conversion or give up and convert it to a color image as you please.
    This being the way it works I had no surprises when converting RAW files of image exposed as B&W and show as that way on the LCD of my X100, Canon G10 or Nikon DSLR cameras and even with images exposed as color ones the only software that was capable of considering the camera settings was Nikon Capture NX2 as either Adobe ACR, Aperture or DxO all would not be able to recognize and use them.

38. Thank you guys for clearing that up for me.

39. These aren't exciting, just plants on the back porch, Jpegs.
    00dMc7-557378584.jpg

40. I've been seeing more and more people switching to Fujifilm, and other mirrorless systems. Last week I was selling off some Nikon gear at Adorama and the man ahead of me was telling me that he is moving from Canon (5D MkII) to Sony. Even though he's going from FF to FF, I'm finding that some of the current APS-C sensors are giving many FF sensors a run for their money. Not that they're better, but pretty darned close.
    I'm in the process of selling off more and more Nikon gear and purchasing what I'll need to build up my Fuji system. Right now, the only Fuji body I have is an X-E1 which I find much better (noisewise) than my Nikon D300 at ISOs over 400. Yeah, older technology vs newer technology isn't a fair comparison, but I didn't expect the Fuji sensor to be THAT much better.
    What's holding me back from making a complete changeover is that Fuji's flash "system" isn't in the same league as that from Nikon. At my age, I sure like the lighter weight and size of the mirrorless systems.

41. I don't fully understand the need to open a topics to so many people announce they are leaving brand A, B or C DSLR equipment to buy X, Y or Z mirrorless hardware that proves to be "sooo good" that they will never look back.
    With mirrorless cameras becoming system cameras targeting the prosumer segment of the market there are not that many ways to make the move than going from DSLR equipment to the new stuff.
    One of the point reasons is "weight" that is a fact at a certain level of equipment but no more completely true as there are some DSLRs lighter than some mirrorless, either when it comes to bodies or lenses.
    Technological changes are big and tend to favor improvements of mirroless regarding aspects that were seen as handicaps a couple of years ago and this may continue, so this kind of migration is expected to continue, but at the same time as much as mirrorless systems tend be more polyvalent and go up the quality scale the weight factor is diminishing (see Fuji constant F:2.8 zooms and last Sony FF bodies, for instance).
    As it happened with the long lasting anagogic versus digital shouldn't it be time to look at these personal choices as they really are?

42. It's just gear talk on what is really a gear themed board. It's no big deal. There's a sort of sub-community of people who
    have changed to mirrorless systems recently and want to share experience and tips.

43. I have too much invested in the Nikon system to abandon it. However, I have stopped buying Nikon lenses. The last three lenses I purchased were fast Fuji prime lenses with aperture rings.

16mm f/1.4 Fujinon
    23mm f/1.4 Fujinon
    56mm f/1.2 Fujinon

I do not like Nikon's G lenses with no aperture rings.

https://flic.kr/p/t4suW9
    00dMkg-557401584.jpg

44. Go to the firmware web page again. They just dropped version 4.0, and it improves the AF speed and adds some new AF functions including a better tracking option. (Make sure to delete the firmware files off the SD card before putting the new one on it.)

45. Earlier in this thread, I recorded that I was getting sharpness problems, especially when using my XE2. I asked whether anyone else was having this kind of problem. No one responded. Should I assume I am alone?
    Yet over recent weeks, there has been a remarkable number of very little used XT1s and XE2s coming onto the market. I wonder whether some owners are experiencing what I am?

46. Fuji just introduced a new model. A lot of people are buying it and selling their X-E's. What AF mode is giving you the non
    sharp images?

47. Also, same thing I told the OP: If you haven't done a firmware update, the AF updates on the newest one (it's up to 4.0 now) over the original firmware result in better AF hits, especially if you're using AFC and want to do any kind of tracking.

48. This might be helpful.
    https://erohne.wordpress.com/2015/06/29/x-t1-firmware-4-0-the-impossible-test/

49. Many thanks for these comments. Here are mine in response.
    1. I doubt whether many people are selling XE2s simply because of new models.
    2. My XT1 is performing very well, with the occasional poor frame - for no explicable reason.
    3. It is the XE2 that is giving me problems: soft, soft, soft.
    4. What is the latest update for the XE2, please? It seems to be 3.0, while the XT1 is 4.0.
    Thank you for your help.

50. Taking a weekend trip with wife in our travel trailer. Got to use the wifi ap with my iPhone as a remote. Wow that is way
    cool and will change how I take some pictures in certain situations....the possabilaties. Getting to like the xt1 more and
    more

51. Thanks Gregory for your comments.
    My XT1 is actually very good. I've probably built up a bit of a phobia caused by the XE2 because of soft images. Just occasionally - in the middle of many perfect shots - I get a crazy one with the XT1, when that, too, should have been perfect.
    I don't shoot things on the move - or very rarely - and almost always have the camera set to s. Historically, ie with Nikons, I almost always used spot focussing. With the XE2, I've tried what is available without obvious improvement. One of my sons, he uses pro Canon equipment, took the XE2 out a week or two ago. While the images were not dreadful, they simply were not as crisp as they should have been, bearing in mind the conditions were near perfect.
    I will have to try some more disciplined experiments. Otherwise, there is a danger I might put the XE2 into a box.

52. I just did the exact same thing that the original poster did... I went from a Nikon D7000 to a Fuji X100T. I have a full set of lenses for the D7000... 30 1.4, 50 1.4, 18-200, fisheye, ultra wide zoom, 125 macro, midrange zoom, etc... a whole bag full of stuff. But that was the problem. It was all so bulky and heavy, it's barely been out of its bag.
    Now I'm not one of those guys who thinks that reducing my options will make me more creative. "Framing with your feet" is no substitute for the flexibility that my bag full of lenses gives me. But the camera you have with you takes better pictures than the one at home in the closet in its bag. I looked at the pictures I've taken in the past couple of years, and almost all my favorites were taken with my iPhone.
    I remembered back in the early days of digital, I had a small 4 megapixel Olympus with a fantastic lens. It was a lot of fun to shoot with, and I did great things with it. I looked at the Fuji X100T and realized that it was the best of both worlds... small, simple and direct to use, and with image quality as good as my Nikon.
    I'll probably keep my Nikon for when I do formal portraits, or special stuff like fisheye shots; but I have a feeling this little Fuji is going to be with me everyday taking the bulk of the shots. I just got it today in the mail, and I spent a few hours puzzling out the menus and setting it up so I never have to dig through menus for anything I need again. THAT is a very liberating feeling. I hate having to swap my glasses on and off as I shoot and stare at the screen on the back instead of looking through the viewfinder.