From a photographer's perspective, where's the most beautiful place you've been?

onlooker

Since beauty is subjective, I felt this question would be okay for this

particular forum.

Of the places I've been, Lisbon, Portugal ranks high. It had enough poverty that

it wasn't rebuilt to Disneyland-like proportions. The tiled walls may be

cracked, but they have taken on a deeper beauty; peacocks run free like pigeons

in some parks; some buildings are in ruins but still function as homes; the rare

art nouveau building shows the ravages of time. Add to that the vistas from 7

hills, tiled sidewalks, monks roaming the streets, and the magnificent river,

it's easy to take a memorable photo.

Other places?

It's funny you ask. One of the other threads lower down on this forum is discussing what

"good" light for photography is. I live in San Francisco, which is a very beautiful place for

many reasons. One of the main photographic reasons is the light. Because of the tendency

toward mist and fog, we get a lot of beautifully-filtered sunlight which gives us many

hours of great shooting possibilities all year 'round. That mist and fog varies in degrees by

neighborhood, so on any given day you can walk a few blocks or drive a couple of miles to

pretty much the lighting

and intensity of sunlight of your choice. It is an urban area which has many inner city and

downtown possibilities for interesting photographs, including neighborhoods as diverse as

Haight-Ashbury, a colorful throwback to the 60s and 70s

and Pacific Heights, lined with Victorian mansions, gardens in bloom most of the year, and

consisting of stunning, steep streets with

views of the bay, Alcatraz, and the hills of Marin. We're pretty tolerant folk here so we've

got a wealth of rich ethnic flavors represented and a bunch of fun gay folk who rarely shy

from the camera! We've got our own writhing "tenderloin" neighborhood for those who like

photographing very real life and our

contermporary steel-and-glass waterfront neighborhoods still being constructed for those

into geometry and reflections. All of

this is surrounded on three sides by bay waters and one side by the Pacific Ocean,

connected to beautiful neighboring redwood and mountainside country by two pretty

awesome

bridges, and a stones throw from the rugged Big Sur coastline, the rolling Napa Valley

vineyards, historic river-infested Gold Country, and Lake Tahoe and Yosemite. I've done a

lot of travelling and there are

many

spectacular places in the world, for sure, but when I arrive home I consider myself pretty

lucky to live right here.

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

The most beautiful place I've ever been, that literally took my breath away ,was the view from the hill driving into Homer Alaska one morning 9 years ago. The sun was just barely rising (very, very, early as it was mid summer) with golden rays shining down from a pink and peach sky. The mountains were a dusty purple, surrounding a literally turquoise bay.<BR><BR>

Everyone stopped on the road and watched. We were all late to work, but it was worth every minute of it.<BR><BR>

I didn't have my camera, but I don't think I would have considered taking a shot.<BR><BR>

Great question!

I've had the privilege to live and work all over the world and have seen and photographed many interesting people, places, and things. Of these, Rome was the best. The mere sight of the Sistine Chapel and the Pantheon made me cry, really.

Probably the best and most photogenic place is where I am planning to go next or where I am now. I am fortunate to live in one of the worlds greatest photographic paradise Cambodia . I could rave on at length but the visuals speak for themselves.

www.peaceofangkorweb.com will give you an idea why I moved from UK 4 years ago

Having said that; I have found beauty in almost every country I have visited except perhaps Belgium (Apologies to any Flemish photographers reading this )

I love the far north west of Scotland and almost anywhere where there are mountains and lakes without too much population. Ladakh in the Indian Himalayas and Rajasthan are probably among the ultimate in the Indian sub continent as well as remote areas in Northern Nepal.

I can find Paradise in cites too; Barcelona, Spain and Kula Lumpur, Malaysia come to mind for totally differing reasons . KL for its stunning modern architecture and Barcelona for the wild and surreal architecture of Antonio Gaudi.<div>00KOaF-35553384.jpg.159477774fe4f06b1b68cfea541cda9e.jpg</div>

Ghost town of Crystal, Colorado; and immediate area. A bit east of Marble CO, another ghost town. A bit south of Glenwood Springs, CO.

Nestled in a tight little green valley at maybe 10,000' elevation. Rushing water in the local streams, rugged Jeep trails to get there. Neat old buildings, great views from the 4WD trails. Waterfall next to an old mill from the mining days.

Requires research, solid nerves if you go in a Jeep (a dirtbike is less scary due to narrowness of vehicle, but harder to operate due to rocky trail conditions), and a willingness to walk at times.

For nature and wildlife... Botswana's Okavango Delta and the Australian Outback.

For history... Rome and Athens.

For architecture... Barcelona and Paris.

For islands... Bora Bora and Santorini.

For rural landscape... Tuscany.

All in my opinion are like heaven for photographers.