From 350Xt to 400Xti? Users Only.

robert_thommes

Just one last question in my quest to determine what I will do. I'd like to

hear from those of you who actually have gone from using a Canon 350D to using

a 400D. What were your reasons for doing so? And...most importantly...what

did you find as the greatest advantage(s) of your upgrade. And finally...what

did/do you experience in use of the 400Xti that was/is invaluable and that you

could no longer do without? Please...confine you discussion to these specific

cameras. I eagerly await your comments. Thanks.

I don't know if you're going to find many people who have traded from a 350 to a 400; it doesn't seem to me to make a lot of sense unless you're talking about adding a second body. I have the 400D and I like it; the dust removal is nice, if you have trouble with dust on your 350 it will probably be an improvement as I have had maybe 2 specks in 6500 exposures and surely several hundred lens changes. Beyond that, I can't think of anything that the 400 has over the 350 that would be worth making the change. But, I have not had a 350, so it may have some shortcoming that I'm not aware of.

Oh, I can't help myself. I do not have the 400D but went from the 300D to the 350D, so I guess I partly pass the entrance exam. :-)

I will say this: the leap from the 300D to the 350D was pretty significant because a *lot* of kinks were worked out and some new features added. The change from DIGIC I to DIGIC II more than warranted the upgrade.

Somehow I don't think the the 350-400D upgrade was as significant, despite the sensor cleaner which, depending on who you talk to, does or does not work very well. I'm sure the revamped LCD is nice, but the 400D still uses the same CMOS sensor as the 350D.

Why not go for the 450D? New sensor (third generation), live view *with* autofocus...THIS is a worthwhile upgrade, IMHO.

I don't think you'll find many people that went from the 350D to 400D.

I went from the 300D to the 350D, but only after the 400D was released. So, I did a lot of comparisons between the 350D and 400D. The main factors that made it a difficult choice:

1) Reviews imply that the 400D has a "high-precision 2.8 center-focus point" which supposedly makes it better than the 350D.

2) Higher burst rate.

Other than those things, there was very little that made the cost worth it. At the time, the price out-weighed the benefits; so I went with the 350D.

Though, currently, the price difference is $100-150 between the two. If I was buying now, I would probably choose the 400D. However, if budget is an issue, I would rather spend less on the body, and buy a nicer lens.

Okay, I've never owned a Rebel so I flunk the exam with 10D, 20D, 40D, 5D on my charge

card. But I ordered a Rebel XSi for my wife, so that sorta puts me in the ball park. I agree, if

you want a significant upgrade, go for the Rebel XSi/450D. The larger viewfinder, extra MP,

new operating interface, nicer grip material and larger LCD are significant tweaks. Not too

fond of the SD card, especially with a mountain of CF at hand...

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter