Freshening up an old laptop LCD screen: Best Solution?

<p>I have a 6 year old laptop with a matte type LCD monitor. Over the years, the screen has obviously built up a film of atmospheric pollution. There are a few particular spots that I've been unable to wipe clean with the usual wet wipes, and I suspect there is also a more general haze.<br /><br />What is the best solution for polishing up that screen a bit? I found this thread from 2005. Is this advice still current? <a href="../digital-darkroom-forum/00CUgs">http://www.photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00CUgs</a></p>

<p>Thanks, James</p>

<p>JB<br>

I have found isopropyl to work pretty well. Even better is naptha ( lighter fluid). It really takes off any oily/greasy deposits. I've cleaned many screens with both and never had reactions with the plastic case. If you're at all worried about that, try it on a spot that is not noticeable.<br>

Use a clean, lint-free cloth (e.g. the cloth for polishing sunglasses) and you'll get good results.</p>

<p>But the same advice - not to 'flood' it-- goes for that dangerous solvent known as di-hydrogen oxide, as well, even when used with detergent.</p>

<p>Many people die every year as a result of overexposure to di-hydrogen oxide.</p>

<p>Seriously though, just as with other solvents and fluids, think of the tiniest drop of a grease-cutting detergent (aka Dawn) and then use half as much on a damp rag. Never use detergents with softeners (aka 'oils') in them, or you can make things worse.</p>

<p>As has been stated, use aggressive solvents with great caution and as a last resort. Distilled water will remove an amazing variety of crud. I wipe my matte lcd screens with distilled water---we have somewhat hard water in out area--- and the distilled guarantees that there'll be no mineral deposits left.</p>

<p>JDM, the problem with di-hydrogen oxide is a very serious one. Scientific research has proven that the substance is involved in 100% of all drownings so care should be taken when using it. There must be very strong lobbyist groups (chemical industry?) at work since it is not even considered to be banned from every day use.</p>

<p>Thanks, I appreciate your insights. I’m feeling like the isopropyl and distilled water might be safest. The Dawn idea might come next (If it’s good enough for a bird, it should work on my screen, right? :) When the machine gets even older, maybe I'll experiment with Naphtha. But I've got some experience handling chemicals (Denatured Alcohol, thinners, naphtha, etc.), and I'd want to be cautious with anything petroleum based on my screen, which I assume is also petroleum based.</p>

<p>Jos, I’d have to refute the 100% claim that you say di-hydrogen oxide has on the drowning industry. In fact, just recently I heard of a poor guy drowning in a vat of industrial acid (yikes). So while I agree that people are generally too careless with the stuff – filling large recreational basins of it in close proximity to their homes – you can’t blame that one substance alone. That said, I'll try not to drown my faithful old computer.</p>

<p>Your last comment reminds me of the time I worked in a laboratory, some 30 years ago. One of the assistants had to measure the refractive index of a substance. He borrowed the Abbe refractometer from colleagues and wanted to start the measurement when I told him that the refractive index is temperature depandant and that he should use a thermostat to control the temperature. I turned my back and the next thing I heard was a splash - he just put the thing in a water bath. (for those who are unfamiliat with lab equipment: the Abbe refractometer is an optical instrument, in appearance a bit like a microscope). I believe the instrument even survived the mistreatment :-)</p>