Freestyle film purchase recommendation.

diwan_bhathal

I have read that Freestyle is discontinuing its ARISTA 125 4x5 sheet

film.

This film is the "equivalent" of Ilford FP4+. It happens that I

just have run out of it.

I need to get some more film. Any recommendation as their

replacement for this film? Has anyone tried it.

I used before TMX 100, but the price per box got a bit steep if one

uses too many boxes.

Will appreciate advise as to a good replacement for the Arista 125.

Thanks.

If you can't afford real branded Ilford FP4+, consider the various 4x5 films J&C Photo sells. There are some very affordable films there. Then search for them by name on photo.net's archives. The cheapest ones probably don't have the manufacturing consistency of the Ilford and Kodak films.

I have used the Classic Pan 400 film from J&C in 5x7 size (cut down to 3A and 9x12cm sizes) with no trouble. I think this is the same film that is now sold as the J&C brand (not the J&C Pro brand). Green anti-halation coating on the back.

Although 100 sheets of FP4+ is a pretty good deal at B&H at $78.95. But Ilford isn't trying to undercut Kodak on pricing much anymore. They no longer have excess capacity due to overstaffing.

Thanks John:

I got used to the Arista 125, because it has a nice price and is a nice film, of really good quality.

The other inexpensive 4x5 B&W film from Arista, the Arista.EDU version is a disaster. It has holes in the emulsion, not pinholes, holes. This indicates that the quality control is abysmal. Contrast is definitely not there.

As I said, I used TMX, but the store price, and the tax, and lots of boxes of film really started adding up the costs. This Arista 125 was a fantastic compromise, good film and very affordable.

I will follow your recommendation, will most likely get lucky and have a new film that will become a companion for a long time. Ilford prices are just going up and up. They did so on their paper, they will do it on film.

Another alternative is to shoot less and use fantastic TMX again. Hmmm... something to think about.

Thanks.

So how about ... Ilford FP4+?

I know, I know ... you're trying to save money, right?

So you're gonna opt to choose a second source film of perhaps questionable quality and supply? You're still gonna hafta do some basic exposure and development tests on the new film, right? Which means you'll end up shooting more film, in the short term, than you would if you stuck with the equivalent to the original Arista, which is FP4+.

Perhaps you enjoy endless hours of film and developer tests, all for a second-sourced film of unknown quality or supply longevity. Who knows, you may not like the results from the "other" film you choose. In which case your "savings" are merely virtual.

If you're satisfied with the results you get with Arista, and don't want to do a whole series of tests to dial in another film, then buy Ilford, a film of proven quality and known characteristics.

You can still purchase FP4+ through Freestyle's website.

John:

Thanks. Yes, this is the most correct solution. FP4+ is a very nice film, and I know how it works, I like the way it looks.

As in my previous post, I was reconsidering to go back to TMX, but I overspent on it last time, at $50 a box of 25, that seems to last 30 seconds only ( I have a rotary processing tank for 4x5, I can develop film very effortlessly and efficiently)...

I just looked at the Freestyle catalogue and the 25 sheet box for FP4+ is at $22.00 today, cost of ~$1/sheet. A 35mm roll has just about the same area as a sheet of 4x5 film and costs $1.39 ! I guess that the extra $.39 are for the film canister and the painting of it on the outside.

I have to keep on repeating to myself that 4x5 is one of the cheapest formats... cheapest formats... until it becomes a mantra.

You are right. It is not good to skimp on good material for monetary reasons. One ultimately pays dearly for intitial savings. Nevertheless the Arista 125 was a really good combination of all factors.

...Just keep spending more money of film, this keeps manufacturers producing film.