Framed Photographs & signing your work

henricus

I'm eagerly waiting my first attempt at displaying one of my

photographs in a large matted frame. I've taken a velvia slide and

had it blown up to 16x20 using Giclee printing on nice 'art paper'.

Because of the slide's size ratio to the 16x20, I'll actually have a

little border around my photo. Here's my question, I know its okay

to sign and date my photo, but where should I sign it. On the

boarder or on the photo itself? What do ya'll do? I would be very

interested to know what and why. It probably doesn't matter, but

I'm just curious. Thanks.<div>006SXp-15212884.jpg.b21a2cb561901cdcc81024eefde33546.jpg</div>

Sign your work in the bottom right hand corner, outside the image. Use a #3 pencil or a sterling silver wire with a sharp point. (The silver signature will oxidize over time and look better and better as time goes by...)

Also you may want to write information on the back of the print: what kind of print, dates etc...

It's really kind of a personal thing Henry- you can do it whatever

way you think looks good. I usually sign mine in ink on the mat

below the bottom edge photo (signature on left, title and date on

right). Whatever and wherever you decide, it's a good idea to

lightly draw in pencil a line to sign on (this can be erased when

the signature dries). Also, take a piece of blank paper and sign it

a couple of times before you sign the mat, for size, etc.Neatness

counts, and it's surprisingly easy to screw up a mat (usually, "on

the day") by assuming "I'll just eyeball it freehand and do it

quickly".

Tom

Sign it with soft pencil on the back of the print. Signing on the front is tacky. Reason being- A photograph is not something you wholly created. You collaborated with the scene. In fact the scene did most of the work... If you sign the front it's a bit pretentious, imo, and others feel the same. Even painters don't sign the front of their paintings these days... It also interferes with the communication of the pure picture.

Absolutely, Ray, I know that. I also sign mine on the back in soft

pencil. I have found tho, when trying to sell to John Q. Public, that

it doesn't hurt to snazz it up a bit (the presentation)- makes the

punters feel they're getting their moneys worth.

Tom

Painters sign the painting, not the frame. Print-makers sign the print, not the mat(te). Even if I've cut the mat(te) myself, it's the photograph that I'm taking credit (or blame) for, not the cardboard around it.

So I sign my prints (if/when I sign them) in the white border of the print itself just outside the image area - bottom right. I don't go in (yet) for numbered editions, so I just date the print at the bottom left ("11/2003").

I use a gray Tombow (#65) acid-free artists' water-color marker pen, which is less heavy and distracting than pure black ink. If you're REALLY humble you can always make the signature small.

Hey, it's up to you, especially since it's just for you. However, I agree about not signing on the mat, that never made sense to me. I have been asked (and agreed) to sign on the photo itself, inside the picture area. I have also been asked (and agreed) to sign my note cards, on the front under the image.

I usually sign the matte in the lower left edge nearest the print using a soft black pencil (Sanford #4B, which has the same lead as the discontinued Eberhard Faber #602 "Blackwing" pencils--for you pencil connoisseurs out there), sometimes I pencil in the copyright symbol with year (in roman numerals) on the right side. I usually sign the back of the print, add my address, contact numbers, etc. I've seen some sign the front of the print itself using a silver metallic marker--too garish for me.
Jeffrey L. T. von Gluck

"I've seen some HCB prints that used a embossed stamp as well."

Thats simply because his lab is churning them out and he can't be bothered to fly from New York to Paris (or whatever) to sign them. I suspect he never even see's the majority of his prints, never mind handles them in a tray of chemicals. As for signing, the fey approach of only signing on the back makes me laugh. If you want to 'inflict' a photograph on your public or friends, take responsibilty for it and have the courage to sign it where they can read which bozo did it! It concentrates the mind wonderfully.