Found Negatives - Steam Railways

<p>A while ago I bought a little album of 35mm negatives, containing what appeared to be railway scenes, at a car boot sale. When I started to scan them I realised they were a record of the end of the steam era in the 1960's, mainly in Scotland, with enthusiasts excursions on the various lines. After completing the scans I decided to send them to the Scottish Railway Preservation Society which was where I thought they belonged. Here are a few of the best images if any PN members are interested in steam railways. The author is unknown.</p><div>00U03w-156795684.jpg.18fba97b061a6d8606448dc8d0e51e0d.jpg</div>

<p>Very nice. I wasn't aware that, when we were discussing the possibility of the first picture being a record of the earlier days of the Elder Hamish community, that these were "found."<br /> Of course, the grass is always greener.., but there's such a wonderful diversity to the British Empire steam locomotives that always leaves me wanting to see more, even though I'm only a very modest train buff.</p>

<p>More into smaller machines, if you take my meaning.</p>

<p>Yes, I noticed the kid and camera too...<br>

(sort of reminds me of the Farside cartoon "Buffy notices something interesting..."</p>

<p>I can't figure out what the camera may be- anyone ?</p><div>00U080-156827684.jpg.9d00c37f741ed0f930a93559f6954870.jpg</div>

<p>JDM well spotted, I regret I didn't make it clear that it wasn't my shot, although I've spent many hours working on these pictures. Anyway the negatives end with a series taken on preserved railways mainly in the Leicestershire (England) area where I live, probably during the 1970's, so it seems the photographer moved south at some point - and graduated on to colour - here are three more:</p><div>00U08r-156833584.jpg.11e342775387789f3275c2c4344cfcc4.jpg</div>

<p>I love the old steam trains, wish we were still using them. </p>

<p>The boys camera looks like a lot of folding bellows models of the time where the viewfinder was that little nub, prism, mounted over the lens.</p>

<p>These sort of look like they were taken on camera club outings given the number of photographers around in many of them.</p>

<p>The boy's camera could be almost any folder from that era, probably a low end model, perhaps a Kershaw, Coronet, Kodak Junior or whatever. Not many people in the UK especially boys could afford high end stuff in those days.<br>

Again just to emphasise these are not my pictures, the author is unknown.</p>

<p>Absolutely wonderful photos!<br>

I am soon to be 73, and I grew up across the street from a New York Central steam locomotive maintenance facility. The sound and appearance of these marvelous machines is a joy. <br>

Thank you so much for posting.</p>

<p>No, John, you made it clear here that it wasn't yours, and I don't think it mattered on the other thread, anyway.<br /> I do appreciate the additional pictures, and in color too. Wow.</p>

<p>There surely must be some Royal British Rail Lovers group you could send scans of these to. They might even recognize the photographer, if you were really lucky. Glad you saved them for sure.</p>

<p>I tried to look up the Ensign Greyhound and some of the other Ensign possibilities. I wonder if what he is holding <em>is</em> a folder? The front end below the 'nub' looks solid to me, but with a projecting lens? Like some variant of the Ensign Cupid, although pretty obviously not that one.</p>