Fotoman vs. Gaoersi

alan c.

Both Fotoman and Gaoersi are Chinese-based companies that make very similar, though not

identical, lines of panoramic and large format cameras...

they seem very reasonably priced...

does anyone here have experience with one or the other or both?

i'm thinking about the 4x5 "point-and-shoot" style camera; each company offers one.

thanks!

I have a GaoErsi 4x5 'point and shoot'. I did take a close look at the GaoErsi 6x24 and 6x17 as well. They are about half the price from Fotoman, and their pricing in China is much more reasonable than the policy followed by Fotoman which is more geared to export sales in USA. That is why I bought the GaoErsi. It may be a bit more roughly made, but has some clever features not available in Fotoman. I can tell you more if you ask more specific questions...

thank you for the information...yes, actually i do have more questions to you as a real

Gaoersi user...:)

does the camera have strap lugs? i can't really tell from the photos...

and, do you think you can use Grafmatic backs with it? the Fotoman requires a special

adapter, as the Grafmatic backs are thicker...

which lens are you using on it?

Yes, the 4x5 has strap lugs. Two very hefty ones at the top, quite close to each other on both sides of the viewfinder. Any normal strap can be used. It does not come with one.

I did not try the zoom viewfinder but the 90 mm one I have is very well made and is optically quite good. They have two models, I have the one with lines for 6x12 back. It also shows the full 90 mm view for 4x5 and by estimation is very usable with the maximum rise of 22mm as well (on 6x12 film).

I had a small old 90mm lens lying around and I had the factory fit that one on it. You can do the fitting yourself but it will take some fiddling since there are no written instructions with the camera. You need to get the right cone/focus assembly for the lens you want to use.

It has a standard graflok back and works with normal roll film holders, double-sided sheet film holders and Polaroid 545 back. The groundglass is fitted with a spring assembly but there is 'not a lot' of space underneath it. I do not have Grafmatic so cannot confirm how it would fit.

You can contact Rong Jin in Shanghai, (jinfinance@yahoo.com) I`ve had many dealings with him from here in Australia and he`s a very decent bloke. He can possibly help you with the range of Gaoersi products. Although I occasionally build 'Obsession 617' cameras, the Gaoersi is hard to beat dollar wise. They`re certainly cheaper than the Linhof..........

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...