Fotoman 45PS

matt_friel

i own and have used the fotoman 45PS camera. it is meant to be a "portable" large format camera. it is very well made, but you must purchase a special cone for each lens you wish to use. i only use one lens with the camera, so it is no big deal. the camera comes with a helical focus mount for zone focusing. i carry readyload film in my pocket, and have a readyload holder in the camera at all times. i compose the picture and set the f stop and exposure time. i insert the readyload film and shoot away. i do not carry film holders. i want the camera to be as portable as possible. i determine exposure with a meter just as do with my regular 4x5 camera. you have to be careful since you are hand holding the camera to make sure "camera shake" is not a problem. i have shot hand held with 110 mm lens, f16 @ 125 with no problems on a sunny day. if you are looking for this type of specialty camera, i can recommend it. i have had no problems. also, if you go to fotomancamera.com, you will find the response and support excellent.

I've owned a Fotoman 45PS for a few months (with a 90mm Schneider SA f8). Very nice

camera. I've used it a lot.

I don't use it quite as intended (the 'PS' stands for Point and Shoot, I think).

I generally use it on a tripod, and often use the removable ground glass for focusing and

composition. I've been shooting interiors with it, with multiple flashes.

It's my first 4x5 camera, so I can't provide a very knowledgeable assessment.

The camera's well made, looks good, and is very light. Fotoman support is excellent.

Complaints? 1. The ground glass is a simple affair, without a fresnel. I would have

preferred to pay more for a brighter ground glass. 2. the viewfinder masks are very

generous, showing more than appears on the film. I prefer to see slightly less (so consider

ordering a viewfinder mask for a slightly longer lens - e.g. a 105mm mask for use with a

90mm lens).

Overall it's a great camera that's garnered a lot of interest from other photographers when

I've been out and about shooting.

I'm not really interested in camera movements and find the Fotoman's rigid construction

reassuring.