Formulary's PMK Pyro & Trix 320

btmuir

Hello people, I trying PMK pyro w/ Tri X 320 rated @ 200. I can't seem to find a good

STARTING time for this combo. Any have any experiences to share? Thanks, and I searched

both here and at Mass. Dev. Chart to no avail.

Compared with most films there's not much data on the web for TXP of any kind with any developer.

So if you find a combination that works, please contribute it to the Massive Dev Chart at www.digitaltruth.com.

Also, try searching Ed Buffaloe's excellent unseeingeye.com website. There are several film/development combinations available there. And it's a good site for any b&w enthusiast.

Hello Bruce,

Here are my times for OLD Tri-X 4x5 sheet film in PMK. The new film may require a slight change (probably a slight reduction in time). Note that these are for naturally soft water. I also develop in Europe with harder water with about 8% less time. The hardness of the water really affects the activity of this particular developer, so be aware of that with this combination. Also, I shuffle the sheets (usually six at a time) in a deep 5x7 tray filled with 500 ml of developer. My agitation scheme is: once through the stack every 30 seconds for the first half of the developing time, then once through every minute for the remainder. I used to just agitate once through every minute with longer times, but got too much uneven development. Since the first part of the developing is the most critical in this regard, I increased my agitation rate. Reducing agitation and the resultant longer development time helps give me the edge effects I like. With this agitation scheme I can still clearly see Mackie lines with the grain enlarger when focusing. Constant agitation will decrease the time.

Note also that my N- times are non-existant past N-1. This is because I now use SLIMTs for all my contractions. These have to be calibrated separately. This N-1 is calibrated for printing on grade 3 paper, all others for grade 2 as indicated. I have attempted to make this a kind of table, but I'm not sure it will come out lined up correctly, so I've separated the values with commas. I'm sure you can figure it out.

TRI-X 4x5/PMK Pyro DEVELOPING TIMES

*Split agitation: Once through the stack every 30 sec.

for 1st half/ every 60 sec. 2nd half.

DEVELOPMENT, E.I., TIME (20 degrees C), PAPER GRADE

N-1, EI 160, 7 minutes, gr. 3

N, EI 250, 9 minutes, gr. 2

N+1, EI 320, 12.25 minutes, gr. 2

N+2, EI 400, 16.5 minutes, gr. 2

Hope this helps a little to get you started. Your times will be different, of course, but this should get you in the ballpark and save you a little time.

Good luck. I like this combination a lot.

Best regards,