Are you familiar with this formula?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are you familiar with this formula?

• Yes
    • No

I was wondering through some books and I found the following formula.

A 50mm lens focus an objet 3m away.

A 25mm lens focus the same object 1,5m away.

Same opening f/11

d = distance

A = opening

f = focal length

Pc(alpha) = (A*dˆ2) / fˆ2

Pc - Proportionality.

Is the formula valid?

Please elaborate on what is Pc means? The size of the subject?

Why do you want to make the vote Yes/No?

It is a proportionality coefficient, a ratio of some kind that would enable you to compare different focal lengths ...

It is a proportionality coefficient, a ratio of some kind that would enable you to compare different focal lengths ...

If you plug the numbers into the formula it gives you the result about 4 and 2 so what does that mean to you?

If you can scan at least the page of the book it would help.

Edited by BeBu Lamar
  • Like 1

Think of a number; square it.

Think of another number.

Multiply the two numbers you dreamed up. Now divide them by 4 and the square of another random number.

And shouldn't the distance and focal length be measured in the same units? Metres or millimetres - choose one or the other.

You can fill the frame with the same subject, but with different focal lengths, and the amount of visible background will change in proportion to the subject.

Nope! At some point a simple ratio will break down, because there's a constant of 2 focal lengths to add into the formula for magnification versus distance.

And the subject-background ratio can never remain constant with a change in distance. It's called 'perspective'.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1
  • Like 1

Relations between depth of field and Aperture, focal distance and distance from object. Depth of Field (profundidade de campo in portuguese).

PC1/PC2=a1/a2 ----- PC1/PC2=((d1)ˆ2/(d2)ˆ2) ----- PC1/PC2=((f2)ˆ2/(f1)ˆ2) -> PC(alpha)= (a.dˆ2)/fˆ2

Ah ha! So it's a depth of field formula? If I remember right, you need a blur circle diameter (circle of confusion) to do depth of field, so this doesn't look quite right, or I don't see how it's in a useful form. If you can describe what you want to calculate, and from what inputs, any number of us can provide the correct formulas.
  • Like 1

Relations between depth of field and Aperture, focal distance and distance from object. Depth of Field (profundidade de campo in portuguese).

PC1/PC2=a1/a2 ----- PC1/PC2=((d1)ˆ2/(d2)ˆ2) ----- PC1/PC2=((f2)ˆ2/(f1)ˆ2) -> PC(alpha)= (a.dˆ2)/fˆ2

Now I get it. It related to which lens has more depth of field

Ah ha! So it's a depth of field formula? If I remember right, you need a blur circle diameter (circle of confusion) to do depth of field, so this doesn't look quite right, or I don't see how it's in a useful form. If you can describe what you want to calculate, and from what inputs, any number of us can provide the correct formulas.

It is I think. Not the one I am used to. I have never seen it and I have never found a proper way to apply it. Overthinking things, in my experience, always seem to ruin the picture.

Nope! At some point a simple ratio will break down, because there's a constant of 2 focal lengths to add into the formula for magnification versus distance.

And the subject-background ratio can never remain constant with a change in distance. It's called 'perspective'.

The relationship is certainly logarithmic.

No. It doesn't work for depth-of-field either.

My depth of field calculator gives a total D-o-F of 2.63 metres for the 50mm lens @ f/11 and 3 metres distance. While the 25mm lens @ f/11 and 1.5 metres distance has a D-o-F of 5.21 metres.

The subject magnification is the same, but the aperture used has absolutely no bearing on that, and doesn't have to be included in the formula for magnification.

So let's work out Pc (1) and Pc (2) with the focal length and subject distance in the same units - millimetres.

We get:

Case (1) Pc = (11*3000^2)/50^2

= 11* 60^2 = 39600

Case (2) Pc = (11*1500^2)/25^2

= 11* 60^2 = 39600

We get the same (meaningless?) figure in each case, which is only to be expected if the distance is kept proportional to the focal length. And squaring both d & f is totally pointless - if the formula given in the original post is followed and correctly transcribed.

Incidentally, the photographic measurement of subject distance is from focal-plane to subject. If that convention is followed, then even the proportionality of magnification falls apart.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1