Forced Smiles

I'm new-ish here (returning after an extended absence), so if I'm not posting this in the correct place please let me know. I have been shooting weddings, seniors, sports teams, etc for 17 years and never have I had the kinds of problems I have with my own two kids forcing the cheesiest looking smiles. They've both had braces, but think their smiles are crooked so they try to force the smile to show their bottom teeth (see attached). My question is this: Has anyone out there ever had a similar situation and if so, what did you specifically say to the client to get them to smile more naturally? I hear people say "tell a joke", "make them laugh", but are there any specific directions you've ever given?

IMG_0955-2.thumb.jpg.3bb1f437d8c4de5a36b21d96b43721ca.jpg

I'm new-ish here (returning after an extended absence), so if I'm not posting this in the correct place please let me know. I have been shooting weddings, seniors, sports teams, etc for 17 years and never have I had the kinds of problems I have with my own two kids forcing the cheesiest looking smiles. They've both had braces, but think their smiles are crooked so they try to force the smile to show their bottom teeth (see attached). My question is this: Has anyone out there ever had a similar situation and if so, what did you specifically say to the client to get them to smile more naturally? I hear people say "tell a joke", "make them laugh", but are there any specific directions you've ever given?

[ATTACH=full]1308254[/ATTACH]

(From my experience) I would show her the picture on the camera display, and say in a friendly and benign way (without sounding condescending or judgmental), that she is doing great but this one came out a bit artificial. May be she doesn't want that, and pause for her reaction (you don't want to shove your opinions down her throat. Shooting portraits should be a collaboration and interactive in my opinion, and it should feel like it). Then I would say something like, I want those pretty eyes twinkle with smile, not just the teeth. Flatter and friendly advice often does the trick.

After that, it would really come down to the person's (subject's) personality (and your's). Some people giggle easily, others may not. Some people are free with smiling, others don't like to smile without genuine reason, and asking them to smile for photos makes them uncomfortable and that shows up in the pictures. Also, smiling doesn't have to be a must for successful portraits, although I admit, sometimes the context demands it, when the person needs to look friendly and welcoming in the picture.

If you want to converse with her while snapping, go ahead. based on the person's temperament, you may crack a joke, or not, its up to you, but don't sound too trying and methodical. People usually can tell, when you are acting a part, rather than being genuine with them.

• Like 1

You've probably known them quite a long time, so they'll know how you are - if you are nervous, they will be too. With mine (and their friends) I tried to keep up a constant stream of chatter, reminding them of amusing incidents in their lives (especially ones where I was less than sensible about things). This often got them laughing, and once the laugh had run its course, a smile would often remain briefly, which was the ideal time to try to shoot. If the kids themselves have fairly confident personalities, maybe a few gentle non-personal insults (such as 'I bet the crocodile is really missing that smile !') might help to break the ice - something ridiculous will often make them smile (or throw things at you !). Above all, keep the sessions short, so they don't feel they are losing a huge portion of their valuable time. If they want to continue, they'll tell you.

HTH

• Like 1

It's all in the interaction . . . Some people just don't relax in front of a camera and parents don't usually make it any easier. I often suggest that somebody "think of something funny". This usually a pretty natural, easy smile. Try to make sure that you aren't putting pressure on them to perform for you. Just make these nice, easy, relaxed, unimportant, sessions. Not easy. I know.

In this image, my guess is that she is trying to be helpful by smiling but that doesn't make it anywhere near natural. I have the same problem with my two sons but my daughter, the youngest, is pretty natural.

That's not Cherokee High School, is it?

• Like 1

A lot of portraits come out better without an actual smile but, instead, with an expression that's pleasant or thoughtful or wistful, etc. Have your daughter try closing her eyes and looking down, asking her to relax, almost meditatively. Then ask her gently to look up at you somewhat quickly, and snap the pic as she does, before she's had time to plan her smile and look. It's often those "in-between" moments that can both capture something very real about a person and make for a good portrait. Distraction from her own thinking about herself is a handy tool. Additionally, you might even suggest she pretend she's an actor and get her to think about various scripted types of moments or situations and what expressions she might try if she were on screen. Get her to move around a bit, to loosen up, maybe have her do some stretches and photograph that, even sweeping or simply cleaning up her room or, if outdoors as in your current shot, picking some flowers, doing light gardening, reaching up to the sky and then back down. Again, so she's more engaged with something OTHER than thinking about how she will look. Edited by samstevens
  • Like 2

"You talkin' to me?"

It's all in the interaction . . . Some people just don't relax in front of a camera and parents don't usually make it any easier. I often suggest that somebody "think of something funny". This usually a pretty natural, easy smile. Try to make sure that you aren't putting pressure on them to perform for you. Just make these nice, easy, relaxed, unimportant, sessions. Not easy. I know.

In this image, my guess is that she is trying to be helpful by smiling but that doesn't make it anywhere near natural. I have the same problem with my two sons but my daughter, the youngest, is pretty natural.

That's not Cherokee High School, is it?

Nope, Grove City HS in Grove City, Ohio! :)

• Like 1

. . . My question is this: Has anyone out there ever had a similar situation and if so, what did you specifically say to the client to get them to smile more naturally? I hear people say "tell a joke", "make them laugh", but are there any specific directions you've ever given?

It's unclear if you're asking about getting your kid's smiles under your control or if your asking: "What do I do if this happens when I am shooting portraits of a Client?" . . . I'll assume it is the latter.

My experience is that it is all about creating rapport. I think rapport is the result of successful interaction.

Interaction with people is most often by spoken conversation, but does not exclude: body language communication; and tactile interactions.

Don't dismiss what is communicated by the tone, timbre and pace of your voice and your body language.

I agree that ALL of the practical suggestions above would be suitable for a Client who was ready and receptive to them: a joke might be the answer, "You think you're nervous, This is my first job!"; a touch on the shoulders and a quiet word to relax the tension in the neck, will work for another Client; I've used the closing eyes technique often, it works a treat for some people... but any 'trick' to relax them for that Shot, is only one small part of the whole journey of creating more rapport.

One glove, one technique does NOT fit every Portrait Subject - a good Portrait Photographer is, IMO, also a good People Understander, aware of the nuances of the Client's emotions and knows how to best to communicate to those emotions.

What I do think is important when dealing with every Portrait Client is to arrive calm and be efficient and in 100% control of YOUR job at hand. Showing that confidence, is a big step to the Client being relaxed for the whole Session, Wedding or Event: you don't get a re-take at the first impression that you give.

WW

never have I had the kinds of problems I have with my own two kids forcing the cheesiest looking smiles

it is all about creating rapport.
There lies the problem! A face like yours, being a blank sheet seems to have a chance to "impersonate the professional" towards clients. But come on, your surely impressive and best efforts aside, your kids know you pants down.

the first impression
they are recalling is a major disaster happening once during your shared life.

While you are "a promising great photographer" for others you are "a reason to roll eyes or chuckle" for them; rapport close to unthinkable.

I fear walking in your shoes I'd take a bunch of selfies to nail exactly the expression you dislike, the one you want + a Plan B and make a neat, shareable presentation from them. I'd apollogize a lot to them, ask if they really(!) wouldn't mind trying stuff with you. I think

• parents can be annoying

• parents with cameras are even worse. - I encountered "the shutterbug's messed up daughter" at least 2 times. That stereotype needs a whole lot of effort to become cooperative.

Inside your family you have maybe 15% of your professional, credibility based, authority. Enable your kids to give others a chance to weigh in. It has to feel their own idea to change their "I'm getting snapped" smile or you'll most likely get nowhere.

Keep in mind that your team is caught in a vicious circle.

Don't ask me how sulkingly I do stuff I don't like to do, if I do it at all.

If your kids subconsciously don't like themselves in previous posed pictures, doing a next batch can't be the fun it has to be to work out. I have no clue how you could successfully involve them. Let them cull 150 frames you took, to see a trace of what they should be after too?

Jochen Schrey: Why you are quoting comments (out of context) and then referring those comments to the OP photographing her kids?

Clearly the first sentence of Post #10 explicitly states (and it is bolded for emphasis) that Post #10 refers to the OP ONLY when she is photographing her Clients.

Again, repeated here for reference:

It's unclear if you're asking about getting your kid's smiles under your control or if your asking: "What do I do if this happens when I am shooting portraits of a Client?" . . . I'll assume it is the latter.

WW

Back eons ago when I was an economic prostitute and 'did photography' for store & church directory sales--I learned a trick. Do something ridiculous at the point of exposure. Quickly put a stuffed animal on your head. Cross your eyes and do a Clem Cadiddlehopper impression. It works every time, and the smiles are not forced...

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

Back eons ago when I was an economic prostitute and 'did photography' for store & church directory sales--I learned a trick. Do something ridiculous at the point of exposure. Quickly put a stuffed animal on your head. Cross your eyes and do a Clem Cadiddlehopper impression. It works every time, and the smiles are not forced...

I don't do a huge number of portraits, but given time I can usually get a good smile even out of the most reticent of subjects by just joking around with them or being silly, like you said, while watching for the "perfect" smile and being ready to react. Of course, this doesn't work for every subject, but I've found it to be a valuable tactic both when the subject will at least talk to me a bit and also when I have the time to do it. Obviously, if you're doing "assembly line" portraits, you don't have time to do TOO much.

Some of the best ones I think I've taken have been without looking through the viewfinder. I look through it to get a rough composition and get the focus where I want it to be, but compose "wide". I then lower the camera to sort of neck level, and often catch them off guard when I do actually snap it.

I hate to say this too, but some of my personal favorites have been taken on MF with a waist level finder. This makes it even easier to do all of the above while directly talking to/interacting with the subject and only needing a quick glance to make sure things are still where I want them. Live view on a DSLR with a hinged screen would probably let you accomplish the same, although I admit to not having that. I could probably do my "shoot from the neck" technique with live view on the DSLRs I have with conventional screens.