for sports? Canon EF 135mm f/2 L USM

mark_sam

If you are shooting from the corners and under the rim, then all you need is a 50mm and maybe something wider. Nothing more. A different story if they are strict on where you can shoot from.

Preferably f/1.4 because it's inevitable you will need it...

That is what I would start with. 135mm is WAY too long for normal HS conditions.

One trick is to prefocus on the rim or net and wait for the action to come to you. Some of the prosumer bodies will let you down in the quality of AF speed.

For the same amount of cash, I would definatly go wide like a 28mm f/1.8 and the 50mm. More dramatic. You can always crop.<div>00JGiI-34107284.jpg.b6500930b3de74e3ff1dccc78febd251.jpg</div>

You can shoot high school basketball from the baseline and corners with a 135mm lens and have good mid-court and decent opposite court coverage. However, you will not be able to photograph the standard generic shots from under the basket without a focal length of 50mm or less.

I shoot basketball with a 50mm f/1.8 under or near the basket and a 105mm f/2.8 lens when shooting from the corners and I?ve never really had any real issues with focal lengths or lens speed.<div>00JGyx-34114884.jpg.f90f8b13e0dcf244d141e1ceccdc2da9.jpg</div>

Shooting distance is the obvious question. For ice rinks and outdoors fields I can't imagine a better lense than the 135/2. With full frame the 135/2 makes also a very good portrait and product lense. I personally own a 100/2 (more suitable cost-wise) but then again I've got 1.3 cropper.<br>For pure photo - a 135/2 with 1.0 crop contra 100/2 with 1.3 crop:<br>

- same shooting distance, same FOV but the 135 ff has better blur and bokeh.