For Nikon D40 users, which macro lens is best?

magdabeda

Hey everyone, I bought a dSLR Nikon D40 about three weeks ago. I love

shooting macro, droplets, flowers, eyes, ect.

The problem is, that I don't have any clue which macro lens to buy. There are

so many, but don't work automaticly with the D40. Any suggestions that work

auto and manual with the D40, would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Magda.

Oh I can manually focus, but some lenses are completely incompatible with the D40. That's my worry. Usually i shoot on Manual, but auto is always something good to have. If not... then maybe, you could tell me lenses that are really sharp and great for macro, no auto... but still cooperate with the D40.

Greatly Appreciated

Magda,

Other than for the issue of not autofocusing on a D40, the 100/105mm f2.8 macro lenses from Tamron, Tokina and Sigma are all very good. They cost a fraction of what the 105mm AF-S VR Nikkor does and are all otherwise compatable with a D40.

Something that you will soon learn about macro is that autofocus is almost useless anyway. The depth of field at the short distances and high magnification is so shallow that AF simply doesn't work consistently. That being the case, the lack of autofocusing on a D40 for macro is not a major issue.

The drawback is that you would still have to manually focus at "normal" shooting distances. You pay your money and you take you choice.

You can buy a used 55mm f2.8 or f3.5 micro (I've recommended this course of action so

many times people are tiring of me saying it I bet) for a little over a hundred bucks. It is

totally "compatible" with your camera... if you don't mind going into manual mode,

manual focus, and no meter. If you are shooting still subjects, it's not a problem. Just

experiment with the exposure and look at the histogram and you'll be fine. That's what i

do. In fact, I would rather manually focus at close distances anyway, for the reasons stated

above.

If you want something totally compatible in terms of AF and all possible metering modes,

choose between the AFS 60mm (brand new) and the AFS 105 with VR.

The Tamron 90 seems to be great to go with, too. All modes supported, but you will need

to manually focus.

Magda,

go for an old pre Ai or Ai 55mm Micro-Nikkor. The D40 is a joy to use with these old lenses, and they produce outstanding images... and they're REALLY cheap these days. Regarding your concern about the D40's compatibility with older lenses... in an odd twist, the D40/40x/60 bodies are actually compatible with more lenses than any of their "big brother" Nikon DSLRs!

As I've said elsewhere on photo.net, the combination of the D40/40x/60 small lightweight body with an older manual Nikkor is a real joy to use. Not having the meter is no big deal. Just take a test shot, check the LCD, adjust aperture or speed, and shoot away... for a LOT cheaper than a big heavy body + auto-focus zoom + too many bells and whistles that take your thinking away from the subject! Have fun.