For Flickr users

sidaths

<p >When I first became passionate about photography, I soon found myself with a Flickr account. I enjoyed the community and the amount of work posted by others that I could find inspiration in.</p>

<p > <br>

To a large extent, this is still true of Flickr, but I find focusing on the photos themselves to be a lot harder when there are distracting comment images and when you need to click through multiple times before you get to see the photo at a respectable size.</p>

<p>With this in mind, I decided to use the Flickr API to create a site that allowed me to both showcase my own photos as well as discover other's photos in a efficient and uncluttered manner. What I ended up with was Fluidr: <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.fluidr.com/" target="_blank" >http://www.fluidr.com /</a></p>

<p>I'm posting this in this Forum for people who want to showcase their photos on Flickr in an easier to use format. By linking directly to your own photostream, you could consider it to be an easy way of creating your own website.<br>

Fluidr is designed to help you:</p>

<ul>

<li >

<p >Get through photos fast with minimal page loads</p>

</li>

<li>

<p >Discover new Flickr artists.</p>

</li>

<li>

<p >View things sorted in various ways</p>

</li>

<li >

<p >Switch seamlessly to a slideshow and back again without page loads</p>

</li>

</ul>

<p>It sports a continuous pagination interface which simply means that as you scroll, more photos magically appear at the bottom of the page. This means that you'll never need to hit a 'next' link again. You can jump into a slideshow at any time by hitting the SPACEBAR key and then use keyboard shortcuts to move forwards and backwards. Clicking on an image brings up a larger version of the photo.</p>

<p>You can add faves and comment on photos on the same page without needing to load a new page. Comments and Favs are added in the background so you can continue to view photos and videos while the network stuff is done in the background. I find that this is a far easier way for me to maintain my list of favourites which I often flick through when looking for inspiration.</p>

<p>Try the 'Surprise Me!' feature to jump to a random view on Flickr, it's a good way to discover someone new on Flickr, and see a one of the many images on Flickr you might otherwise never see.</p>

<p>I created this site mainly for my personal use, but on receiving positive comments from others, thought that other too might find it useful. It's free and has no ads or anything so feel free to give it a try and share links and so on. If you have any feedback I would greatly appreciate it!</p>

<p>Sid, You've done a fabulous job on this. Flickr drives me nuts too. I don't like the interface, and it is very confusing. Your interface looks very professional. One small note: The gray'ed out type is really hard to read on my non-high rez monitor. But other than that, it looks great.</p>

<p>About the hard to read grey type, if you mouse over it it should become clearer. I did this so that it is easier to concentrate on the images rather than the text until you mouse over the text. If you don't mind, could you tell me what browser and OS you are using? I've heard that people with Safari 4 on Snow Leopard find it especially hard to read.</p>

<p>Not to worry though, I'll be making this feature optional and off by default very soon (i.e. probably by tonight).</p>

<p>Thanks for your feedback!</p>

• 2 weeks later...