for all you nuts

john_h_osterholm

I definitely killed time in a Chock full o' Nuts back in 1990 interviewing for my first job at Young & Rubicam - Madison in the low 40's. Also going to work with my Dad on Wall Street back in the late 70's and patronizing one down there.

Thanks for the memories...

To answer Jay's question-

1) Chock Full of Nuts was both a coffee shop and an inexpensive place to get a simple lunch - I've eaten quite a bit of their clam chowder. They were closer to a lunchonette or diner than they were to Starbucks.

2) Most of the automats were replaced by fast food outlets - Burger King I believe. Horn & Hardart kept the last Automat going on the East Side near the Daily News Building but closed even that one 8-10 years ago.

Chock Full o' Trivia:

William Black's wife, Page Black, was a glamor gal back in the 40's or 50's, but was a little tired by the late 70's when she was (still) doing Chock Full's TV ads for their coffee.

They were a publicly traded NYSE listed company, and were the subject of recurrent speculation in the mid-80's after William Black died. They held long-term leases on some pretty good Manhattan locations (B'way and 34th in John's photo above, is that correct, John?) and there were buyout rumors for years until Sara Lee picked them up. By then they had closed most of the coffee shops and just sold the coffee in supermarkets.

Barely on topic: I once spilled coffee (with cream) on my M3 in a smaff CFON shop on Broadway near 37th Street.

Marc,

Y&R is still there, busting at the seams from what I understand (Young and Move Again). Actually interviewed there, but wound up working at Ogilvy and Matehr and did the lowly media planning thing till I got bright and decided I needed to make some cash. Some of the best times of my life and I consider it my MBA, but they paid a pittance.

In my youth, it was a very big deal when a US relative came to Toronto and brought a can of CFON coffee which was not sold in Canada. We called all the relatives over and shared the coffee and it usually lasted for only that one party but it was great.

Two weeks ago in NYC I lamented the disappearance of CFON, but not the dreaded Automats. Between Gray's Papaya Hut red hots and Sbarro, Automats are no loss to the fine and elegant dining tradition of NYC.

AS the late Mr Hope sang: "Thanks for the memories".

Cheers

Richard, those automats were very popular restaurants, especially for lunch, in both NYC and Philadelphia for generations. I wish I had a nickel for every meal I ate in the automats in Philly during the years I was doing my street-shooting there. Philly had another chain, called Dewey's, where you stood at a counter for "breakfast" and got a coffee, juice and donut for half a buck. My kind of place. Do they still ask you in New York if you want "coffee regular?"--meaning the addition of about a pint of milk and half a pound of sugar!

The last Horn & Hardart Automat was at 42d and 3rd (not Lex), and it closed in '91. There is a Gap store there now. I remember it well -- in spring of 1987 I went to NYC and secluded myself in my girlfriend's apartment at 37th and Lex for two weeks to study for the bar exam. It was incredibly boring and I always counted the minutes until I could take a lunch break, which I sometimes spent there.