Focusing with 5D II

john_hennessy4

<p>Do I correctly understand that one of the improvements with the 5D ii is that one can use live view with a magnified image to aid in focusing? If so, does it actually work? Better than the L finder?<br>

Want to buy one and I'm looking for ammunition to persuade myself.<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>You understand correctly! The live view feature of the 5D2 was not a driver for me (I wanted the benefits of using a 24mm TS-E on a FF sensor) but it is a great feature. It works brilliantly in dimly lit places because as you alter the exposure settings the screen brightness alters accordingly. So you can zoom in, and increase the brightness, to really get very accurate focussing. I was amazed at how small an adjustment of the focus was clearly visible on the screen - much better than the L finder (which I also use) for really critical focussing. I imagine that it would be outstanding for macro work. Need any more ammo?<br>

Cheers! RickDB</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Want to buy one and I'm looking for ammunition to persuade myself.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br />Let me help. You will not be a complete person without this camera. Once you have it you will not need anything else, ever. (I told my wife this when I purchased a 300D in 2004. I am on my fourth DSLR since!)</p>

<p>I think the live view is a Gods send, I use it like a mini view camera for my landscape work. Yes it works awesome to get perfect focusing every time. It is very useful for ND grad filters, you can see the filter line really well in Live View. I like how when composing an image you can see just how the camera will capture it, in terms of WB, color, etc. Plus I really like the grid lines in Live View, they break up the screen into perfect thirds. Wait until you see the image on that 3" high resolution screen. If you can afford it, get the 5DII, trust me you will not be disappointed.</p>

<p>It works great. I was not really even thinking about live view when I got my 5DII, but it has turned out to be a very useful feature. It is great for macro work, and it also lets me focus in low light conditions (including night photography) where AF won't work.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>Moving from a 5D+50D dual-format setup to a 5DII+50D setup, I'm seeing the best of both the 5D and the 50D plus a lot more in my new 5DII. Yesterday I took the opportunity to photograph a large patch of cowslips (<em>Primula veris</em>) in our meadow, and for the first time I was able to use my TS24 on FF with Live View and really see what I was doing with the tilt setting to bring everything from the nearest cowslip at about 60cm to the distant trees into sharp focus, using 10x magnification in Live View. Of course, I've been able to do that trick with the 50D, but that does not exploit the full angular coverage of the TS24, and prior to the introduction of Live View the use of the tilt movement has involved a large element of guesswork.</p>

<p>However, Live View is not a complete substitute for the Angle Finder. Many botanical photographs taken in the field require the lens axis to be parallel and close to the ground, and an articulated screen would be necessary for Live View to help there. Also, I do quite a bit of field work hand-held, and I would reserve judgment even on the useability of an articulated screen in that case, although it has to be admitted that despite decades of practice I still find the Angle Finder awkward to use (not as bad as the original L-R reversing version, though!).</p>

<p>I don't have a 5d2 yet; I'm still a lesser person for now. :-(</p>

<p>But I do have a 50D with Live View and find it extremely useful. The 10X view is great for tweaking focus and I love the grid lines too. They make easy work of getting level horizons and perfect subject placement (if only I paid more attention). Like Robin, I'll add an articulated screen to my wish list, for those times when I have the camera at ground level or overhead.</p>

<p>I really love live view as a focusing aid, but I also pull out the angle finder from time to time. It's more accurate to use the screen than the angle finder, but I just like using the viewfinder more. It's so ingrained in me to put my eye up to the cup that I have a hard time using live view at all.</p>

<p>I think the vast majority of people will think I'm nuts, especially because I use compacts all the time without using the viewfinder. But holding up a big heavy SLR at arms length is strange to me, even though I often shoot over my head at weddings.</p>

<p>I guess I'm just not used to it yet.</p>

<p>Thanks Robin! Wow, you really can see what you are doing with the tilt in live view. John, seems you won't be a complete person without the 5D2 <em>and</em> a 24mm TS-E (probably have to be the Mk II out in May!)</p>