Focusing Screen for NIKON FE2/FM2

hjoseph7

<p>Currently there are 3 focusing screens for the Nikon FE2/FM2, the B2, K2, and E2. I say currently because those are the ones that are still available on eBay. My Nikon FE2 came with the standard K2 screen, but the split image range finder tends to black-out under bright sunlight making it almost impossible to focus.<br>

So I switched to the E2 which is Matte with grid lines. The E2 focusing screen worked out a little better because it does not black-out in bright sunlight, but in dim lighting situations(and with my eyes) I found it very hard to get perfect focus. Another thing I noticed is that the K2 focusing screen was allot brighter than the E2. <br>

I'm not sure what the B2 focusing screen does, but it might be a compromise between the two(K2/E2). Unfortunately, the B2 is very hard to find. So I was thinking of maybe upgrading to a K3 focusing screen that comes with the FM3A as standard. Those are still selling on B&H, while the B3 is not.<br>

Does anybody have any experience with a K3 focusing screen on an FE2 camera ?</p>

<p>I've never had a split image screen black out in bright sunlight. One half of the split will darken if your lens' max aperture is slower than f/5.6 and/or if your eye is off axis in the finder, but in general, with split image, the brighter the better.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>...in dim lighting situations(and with my eyes) I found it very hard to get perfect focus.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I have heard it said often that the way the human eye is designed, split image is the most accurate focus screen option and in my experience the most reliable in less-than ideal lighting situations. YMMV</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

<p> </p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<p>I just got my K3 screen from B&H. I read somewhere that for the FE2 you need to add .5 exposure correction. The split image is smaller than on K2 and is horizontal rather than vertical. So far, it has not blacked out on me regardless of the f-stop.<br>

First impressions: except for the black-out thingy, I actually found the K2 easier to focus with.</p>

<p>These focusing screens are a bit complicated. Some need exposure compensation for certain cameras. Here is the detail :</p>

<p><a href="http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonfeseries/fefmshared/html/screens.htm">http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonfeseries/fefmshared/html/screens.htm</a></p>

<p>On the FE2 you should look for a K2, B2 or E2 if you want to make life simple.</p>

<p>I have used both the standard K2 and the gridded E2 on both FM2n and FE2. I eventually found that for me the K2 was better for all work I was doing, including architecture. The link above seems to be saying that the K3, B3 or E3 will only work properly on the FM3. I can't be sure of that but that is how I understand it.</p>