Focusing Area

andy clarke

<p>Hey, <br>

Im new to rangefinders, just got my first one today, A Canonet GIII QL17.</p>

<p>I was wondering, the focusing area in the middle; is it supposed to have defined edges? mine has a clear focusing area but the edges fade away into clear.</p>

<p>Is this normal? its still very usuable but i was just wondering as i have used a Mamiya6 in the past and its focusing area was very noticable.</p>

<p>Thanks<br>

Andy</p>

<p>At least in 35mm, only the Leica M and Zeiss Ikon "ZM" cameras have sharp edges on the secondary focusing image in the rangefinder. All other rangefinder cameras use a simpler system, and have a "fuzzy edged" secondary image. The difference in complexity of the Leica/Zeiss rangefinder is considerable.</p>

<p>Actually the Werra rangefinders rather had a split-image rangefinder, you had to match the edges of the object in the rangefinder spot with those on the upper and lower edge of the rangefinder spot.<br>

There were also some cameras with a "semi split image" rangefinder, like the Certo Super-Dollina. The rangefinder "spot" rather was the lower half of the image but there was a small area where both images were superimposed, so you could use it split-image-like or superimposed-image like.</p>