Focus Stacking

browncam

I have a Canon MPE 65 Macro Lens. Because it is designed for extreme closeups the depth of field is very narrow.. Focus stacking is necessary to get a whole insect or flower blossom in focus. Automatic in camera focus stacking is a feature of the new mirror less Canon RP. However, when I search it on the net, I am told that it only works with about ten Canon branded EOS lenses and the MPE 65 is not one of them. I would appreciate hearing from an RP owner who has tried the focus stacking feature.

I'm not aware of focus stacking in Lightroom, but I am not at a computer on which I can check. Photoshop includes one stacking method that often works well. However, IMHO, if you stack a lot (I do), it is worth using a more flexible specialty program. I use Zerene, which offers two different stacking algorithms, excellent retouching functions, and a number of other advantages. And unlike in-camera stacking in many cameras, it does not require that you lose data by converting to JPEG

I don’t have an EOS RP, but it makes sense to me that since the MPE 65 is Manual Focus only, it won’t be able to do automated in-camera focus stacking.

[Mike,

Thanks. That makes sense. Not sure how I thought the RP would do it.

I'm not aware of focus stacking in Lightroom, but I am not at a computer on which I can check. Photoshop includes one stacking method that often works well. However, IMHO, if you stack a lot (I do), it is worth using a more flexible specialty program. I use Zerene, which offers two different stacking algorithms, excellent retouching functions, and a number of other advantages. And unlike in-camera stacking in many cameras, it does not require that you lose data by converting to JPEG

Thanks for your help. With my limited computer skills, I have had better success with Photoshop than Zerene.

Not as convenient, but Photoshop does an amazing job with focus stacking. Apparently Lightroom does it too.

John,

Thanks, Far as I know Lightroom will stack photos, but it will not do focus stacking. I like Photoshop as well.

I got back to a computer where I could check. The only photo merging that Lightroom can do is panoramas and HDR (or both). It does not do focus stacking. I believe the LR plugin LR Enfuse can do focus stacking, but I haven't used it for that, so I don't know how well it works. I use it for exposure blending, which is an alternative to HDR.