Focus confirmation dot?

mark_stephan2

Earlier today I was using my 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 mkI with my 70D and Canon extender 1.4x. I was experimenting knowing my lens doesn't auto focus with the 70D. I'd like to know if I'm supposed to get the "dot" that indicates the lens is in focus when focusing manually? If I'm supposed to, is there something wrong with my tc or camera? Is there a setting somewhere in the custom functions?

All EOS cameras are supposed to autofocus at f/5.6. Some cameras, 5D III and 5DsR among them, will autofocus at f/8. I do not believe that the 70D will autofocus at f/8, With your lens and extender combination you are (at least at 400mm) operating at f/8. If your camera cannot autofocus at this f stop I would be surprised if it could give focus confirmation. So I am afraid you'll have to eyeball the focus.

I've read that the 100-400mm Series II will AF through the VF with the 70D and the EF 1.4x TC-III. Notice that I said Series II and III and I've only read that, not experienced it. The Series II lenses and Series III TCs do have chips that improve their performance over older models. I assume that you're shooting birds or wildlife and that's why you need that much focal length and you will use the VF. If you can use Live View, then, I've read that AF will extend to f/11 with that body.

Maybe someone here, with actual hands-on experience can validate.