foam replacement X-700

zave_shapiro

I have a couple of X-700's, heavily brassed, broken frame counters,

old buddies. I saw someone use a lightly-used one and I realized

that by comparison when I fire 'em it sounds like a crowbar hitting a

concrete floor (not sick but LOUD). Is foam replacement indicated?

Is it a home job? I'd also welcome recommendations for reputable and

reasonable shops in the Calgary area (I'm in Banff). TIA!

I'm in the same boat as you (metaphorically speaking). My X-700 sounds like a tank, and the light seals are all melted away as well. So I bought one of those foam replacement kits on E-B*Y for about ten bucks.

I'm going to try doing it myself, but that's because i'm a hobbyist by nature and it's a backup body. If I depended on it as a primary camera, I would take it to a shop and get a proper cleaning & repair. They can also fix the counter problem (which all X-700's are plagued with).

Good Luck!

As I mentioned in another recent post:

I bought an X-700 a few months ago and shipped it to Garry's Camera (www.garryscamera.com) for a thorough cleaning and light seal replacement. He is located in Illinois. He keeps costs low because he does not have a store. He also fixed my XG-M about six months ago, and I'm a completely satisfied customer. I've seen various light foam kits available, but I'm not brave enough to do it myself. Plus, the X-700 is my main camera.

• 12 years later...

<p>(Will my 2015 response bump this thread back up? We'll see.) In 1996 I helped my brother-in-law purchase a Minolta X700 with the 50mm/1.7 and a 28-105 zoom. Last month he suddenly died, and last weekend his wife brought along the outfit as a gift. She said he'd only used it on two vacation trips, and it is truly in mint condition. Unfortunately, the light seals are all liquefied. I've sent for a $12 replacement light seal kit, and will be attempting a change here at home. Though I figure the per frame cost of shooting film with professional processing at around $1, it might be highly enjoyable to handle an X700 in the field again. I'm also curious to see the image quality, how it will compare with my 12MP and 16MP digital cameras.<br>

If anyone responds to this old resurrected thread, I'll report back, later on!</p>