foam for pelican 1600

nick_davis

I am the owner of 4 pelican 1600 cases that need new foam inserts. I don't necessarily need or want the

replacement pick-and-pluck foam that Pelican sells for $69.00. I checked on some foam at the fabric supply store

and was blown away by the prices. Does anyone know where I could get some new foam cheap?

You might try a craft store like Hobby Lobby. It's unlikely you'll find 4" foam, so plan on stacking several layers.

Nothing is ever cheap. IMO, pay the money and get the Pelican replacement kits. If pick-and-pluck is not what you want, consider getting the partition kit once and for all.

I tried Hobby Lobby but the foam that they sold was real spongy and soft. It was also very expensive. The foam that I have in them now is 4" closed cell. I can't remember where I bought it because it was over 10 years ago but it wasn't really expensive. The reason I don't want the pick-and-pluck is because I have had trouble with it falling apart in the past.

Another vote for the partition set rather than foam. You pay only once for versatility going forward; it doesn't deteriorate like the

foam inserts, and won't have to be replaced when you need to reconfigure the case for different gear (as I've done at least

three times with my 1600.)

I bought a used closed cell camping pad at a garage sale, cut it the way I wanted it, and used a really high quality duct tape to put the pieces where I wanted them. This works a lot better than the pick & pluck foam from Pelican, and as Michael said, you can reconfigure it. I doubt I have $3 into it. I've done several bags & boxes this way, and as long as you use good foam and tape it will hold up well.