problems for years. Listed it as near mint condition. The buyer, at

follow-up, stated that he took the camera to a reputable Nikon repair

shop for a check out and they found that the mirror was loose. They

charged him $45 to tighten the mirror and "refocus the camera". I've

never heard of refocussing a camera body. Does this make sense to

anyone, is there any consequence to not tightening the mirror? Is

there something that can be adjusted in regards to focus within the

camera? Thanks for any info.

Was the buyer trying to get you to pay for the checkup that he wanted done (without asking you first), or was he just mentioning what he found. When I buy something used, I expect to cover any minor repairs or adjustments myself (unless the equipment was misrepresented). It seems that $45 was pretty cheap.

Not at all. In fact I just noted that he'd not yet left feedback (about 10 days after sending the camera) and wrote to him to make sure he was satisfied with the purchase. In his response he told me about the repair work. He mentioned he wasn't happy about the $45, but didn't try to elicit reparations or anything.

I'm just trying to decide if I should have notice anything before sending the camera--If I overlooked something that should have been declared in the description I'd feel partially responsible and probably would offer to split the repair/check-up cost. If this is something only a careful inspection by a trained repair person would pick up then I agree that it is just part of buying any used camera (E-bay or otherwise) to expect to pay for an inspection and minor repairs.

As Bruce wrote the mirror stop is critical to accurate focus. So is the focus screen.

If I buy a camera body and the seller can't provide documentation of a recent CLA I just assume the risk and factor the cost into my bargaining position. If it turns out no adjustments are needed, so much the better.