Flying with Snakes (Running with pencils?)

Sandy Vongries

Went out for a walk with my dogs this morning, brought along the DF with 24-120 4 G. Apparently a pair of hawks have a nest in the Rimrock, one carrying a snake. Obviously the wrong lens, but I doubt I'll get a a shot like the last of the three any time soon (if ever!) so despite the loss of quality due to blowing up and cropping, I'm posting these anyway. Of course, when I went back with a long lens, nothing in sight. Think I know where the nest is, so long lens & tripod the next time I see any action.

503049413_DSC_4894(685x1024).thumb.jpg.dba1ef6422088bc787effe336bec599d.jpg 397430895_DSC_4895(684x1024).thumb.jpg.ff78ccab2c5834f486149e136532feb1.jpg 1955000394_DSC_4898(683x1024).thumb.jpg.2c0b10ad33320d0ceef177783e9a3acd.jpg

Edited by Sandy Vongries
  • Like 4

On the night of the lunar eclipse a couple of years ago, in the twilight just before dark, caught this hawk with a fish it had just taken from the lake where we had set up in the high Uinta Mountains. Long distance, dim light, and heavily cropped, but still discernible.

DSC_3474-small.thumb.jpg.5ddc044116f6ef6dfa17a688bca26a4d.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On the night of the lunar eclipse a couple of years ago, in the twilight just before dark, caught this hawk with a fish it had just taken from the lake where we had set up in the high Uinta Mountains. Long distance, dim light, and heavily cropped, but still discernible.

That's an osprey.

OK. Thanks for the correction. I don't pretend to any expertise in ornithology, unless it's about other, metallic birds of prey, such as the F-16 or F-35 variety. ;)

I love pix of metal birds! (BTW, one of my buddies worked in the Pentagon and was the development management officer for the Osprey project. It almost died several times).

A very useful but accident prone aircraft!

I've wondered about its operating history. I know that they made some huge design changes during development. It's now been in operation a couple of decades. I don't recall hearing about more crashes than other rotary prop aircraft used by the Marines. When it works, it's got some huge tactical advantages.

• Like 2