'Flying' lights from the ceiling?

I am doing a bit of construction in my studio and thus have an opportunity to customise it

a bit.

I have two walls in my shooting area that are about 18 feet apart. I am already planning to

put up a pulley system that I can hang backgrounds from (seamless and muslin).

I am thinking about rigging a truss of some kind that I could clamp Booms to or perhaps

just hang background lights. I am not going to go so far as to buy an expensive Rail

system.

A common setup I would have would be two background lights (one per side, high and

aiming down at 45 degrees) an overhead fill with umbrella overhead and above and a Main

light (on a stand).

I am thinking that my background lights could also be aimed and modified to be fill or hair

lights.

I live in a city (Nashville, TN) where I should be able to find cheap used light Trusses (the

kind that are used for Stage lighting).

Ideas?

jmp

From your description, I assume that you do a fair amount of portraits. Take adequate

safety precautions. Gravity works.

Anyone supplying trusses should be able to size them properly for intended load and

span. Make sure to assess your needs with future possibilities in mind.

I have always thought the greatest advantage of overhead rigging was getting the cords

out of the way. If your remodeling allows, run power up to the appropriate locations,

perhaps adding separate circuits.

Enjoy your new studio!

This might seem a bit over the top, but its very effective.

Run 2 trusses or 2 single poles horizontally. Put 1 just in front of where your model would be or subject so you can downlight / fill.

Then mount 2 verticle poles on each side, 1 slightly behind and 1 at 45 degrees to the center of your backdrops.

One thing you should do is have several power plugs installed near the trusses, so that you can plug them in up there and not have cords hanging and then have an electrican wire them to a panel with dimmers.

With all of the stage shops there, someone should be able to make the poles and trusses fairly cheap and having all of your fills / floods / spots / fresnels :) on dimmer switches, you have a ton of flexibility and can stay off the ladder.

Just an Idea. I designed and installed lights for a few stage plays to help pay for college in the 80's and life is so much easier having the electical connections where you place the lights.