Flora Photography

aidah_abdul_karim

Hello, recently I love taking pictures of flowers outdoor and indoor. However I have only a SLR camera with zoom lens (31 - 75mm). I know it not up to the standard, but I want to try to get the best of it. If possible, I would like an advise on the right film to used, lighting -- if the flash can be used and the most appropriate time or moment to capture those beautiful petal on my camera. Should I use the macro option in taking this picture? In addition, my camera is manual style. I hope someone can assist me in determining the shutter speed and aperture rate in producing the best picture. Thank you in advance for any help you can give. I really appreciate it.

You are really asking for a crash course in photography, and this

probably isn't the place to get it I'm afraid. My <em>serious</em>

suggestion is that you get hold of copies of two books by John

Shaw. They are <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0817440526/photonetA/">

<cite>Close-ups in Nature</cite>

</a>

which will tell you everything you ever want to know about macro

photography, and

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0817450068/photonetA/">

<cite>The Nature Photographers Complete guide to Professional Field Techniques</cite>

</a>

which will tell you everything else you need to know about nature

photography in general, including film, exposure determination,

lenses, tripods and general technique. If you can't afford to

buy them, try your local library and if they don't have them on the

shelf, ask them to get a copy for you.

<p>

I'm not trying to avoid your questions, but these two books will

tell you more about what you need to know than you could ever

learn "on-line". There is just too much you need to know to make

it possible to give a useful answer (though maybe someone will

try!).

• 3 weeks later...

The only thing you really need to have is a camera that will focus on objects at the distance you want. Of course, indoors or at night, some kind of light will be required, and each kind of light will have a different effect (ordinary light-bulb, photo flood, flash on-the- camera, flash off-the-camera, ring-light. Oh, yes, daylight, sunlight.

<p>

If you want the pictures to come out exactly like thos of some photographer whose work you admire, you may hve to use similar lighting and technique. Probably, unless you are doing it for some professional purpose, you don't need special equipment.

<p>

One guy I know shoots pictures of jewelry (size + shape like flowers).

Uses a 4x5 view-camera, builds sets and has very special lighting.

And he spends a LOT of time on each one.

But he wouldn't do that if he were not a pro, and his wife were not a well known jeweler whose stuff needs advertising shots.

<p>

For my own photos of flowers I use a Pentax PZ-70 with the 35-80 zoom focussed at about 12 inches. Sometimes, a Yashica MAT 124 TLR

with +3 close-up accessory lens.

<p>

Used to try with a Fuji Discovery P&S, and with a Richo 500G,

with little success... would not focus close enough.

If your camera will not focus that close, you might want to get a close-up lens, or a lens that can be reversed

(I never tried that but I hear it will work).

<p>

If you live near NYC, there are a lot of camera stores with used lenses-- I found my Bay-1 close-up lens in rec.photo.marketplace.

For photographing plants and flowers I'd recommend two things; first, get a small, durable grey card, like `The Last Grey Card' by Unicolor, and meter off it as per the instructions; second, use high-saturation film in soft light (such as under a diffuser or on an overcast day).

<P><B>Regarding Richard's post:</B>

<P>The <I>Kodak Professional Photoguide</I> as reviewed in Philip Greenspun's <A HREF="http://www.photo.net/photo/dead-trees.html">Dead Trees</A> section of photo.net has a grey card on the last page.

<P>This book is worth the $29.95 list price. I agree with Bob Atkins; a web-based forum, USENET, web site, is good for many things, but often books and hands-on experience cannot be duplicated. The web is not suited for detailed theory and step-by-step instruction of a fairly complex technical field.

<P>The Stroebel book listed in the aforementioned Dead Trees section is also worth acquiring.

<P>Burn through lots of film and note what works and what doesn't. I suggest you use good slide film; it is much more unforgiving than print film and you'll learn a lot from the experience.

You should really follow Bob's advice and/or read <a href="http://www.ultranet.com/~pwilson">my web site</a> that has a lot of relevent info.

<p>

The short of it is, you'll need a tripod and probably a high quality diopter such as the two-element designs from Nikon (3T through 6T) and Canon (500D?). These will allow your zoom lens to focus close enough for decent flower shots. You should really do some reading.

• 4 weeks later...