Floored By My New Zeiss Super Ikonta

markdeneen

<p>I finally got back my first images using the Super Ikonta. I sent them out for process and scan and they just got here. I had been working on a club project with a local cemetery as a theme. When I loaded these up and zoomed to the 100% I was thrilled at the level of detail in the far b/g. I had shot several rolls of 35mm film and the distant stuff was a haze. This was really cool. I can't wait to get this back out in the field!</p><div>00Xcuz-298477584.jpg.2a4c3b75573957746934ce79627ae0ad.jpg</div>

<p>Mark, I really like the quality of your images. When I looked at the first photograph it reminded me of one of those "scale models" that you see with model railroads. I had to look twice to realize it was the real McCoy. What lens did you use and where did you find such a wonderful old camera? Was it in good shape when you bought it or did you need to have some repairs done to it? It sounds like you are having a boatload of fun with it. Congratulations!</p>

<p>Graham--<br>

Thanks. I had the same reaction when first viewing the scans. The camera is just as I bought it - no repairs. It was in beautiful condition. It has the 80mm f/2.8 Zeiss Tessar lens which was original. This is a Zeiss 533/16 model. I used a tripod, and stopped down to f/22. I think the exposure was around 1/8th sec.<br>

I've only shot two rolls with it. I didn't want to shoot a lot until I got back some results and made sure the camera works. I guess it works! Now, I can go out and have some fun with it.</p>

<p>My only one of the Ikonta family is an Ercona I (a re-branded Ikonta C (521/2)) from the Soviet Occupied Zone.<br>

From my results on it, I was not surprised at the optical quality of your images.<br>

That first image certainly is pleasing, looks like quality <em>behind</em> the camera as well. :)</p>

<p>Graham - Yes, it is from the early 1950s. It's my second Ikonta, and I decided on the second to pay the money it takes to get a really fine example. So, I kind of paid a bit dearly for it, but I am really happy now that I see what it can do. It is exceeding my expectations. I hope you find a nice one Graham.</p>

<p>JDM - no, I can't really take any credit. I lugged it up the hill, that was about it. The rest is all Carl Zeiss.</p>

<p>Ray--<br>

It is a HEAVY camera. About 1.4kg. But it works very smoothly. I did have to study the film loading carefully, and there is a little odd switch on the top deck you must engage in order to get the proper frame lock to engage on the first wind. Once the film is in, this is a easy camera to use. The rangefinder is coupled and the patch is very easy to line up. Focusing is a breeze, and feels very precise. The aperture and shutter speed are set on the outer lens dials. The shutter cock is also on the outer lens dial. There is a meter on the top deck, but of course it is not a coupled meter. I don't bother a bit with it, I use a hand held incident meter.</p>

<p>The camera features double exposure protection, which is really GREAT. My previous Ikonta did not and I usually managed at least one double X per roll. Is it smooth? Does a bear poop in the woods? This thing is GERMAN and although 60 years old it is tight and smooth and precise. I am no expert, this is only my second Ikonta, but you often here people say the Super 533/16 is the best folder ever made. I am really looking forward to fun with this camera.</p>

<p>I saw a 533/16 on eBay that was a 6x9 (2 1/4" x 3 1/4") which seems somewhat rarer. There are a couple of the 6x6 models as well. Does this camera take interchangeable lenses, or is it just the 80mm? I can see where it might be really nice to have a reasonably medium format compact camera on occasion.</p>

<p>I sold my 533/16 quite a few years ago, after getting several years of good use. Does the meter function properly on yours? And is the frame spacing even? Based on my experience, I'd say it's worth a premium for one in really good condition. Mine was a rather worn example, still capable of excellent results, but the frame spacing was uneven. Sadly, no one would touch it - apparently if the main wind gear is worn there are no replacements available. Subsequently I acquired a Rollei with a Planar. But stop the Tessar down to 5.6 and I couldn't tell the difference!</p>

<p>Professor K- -<br>

My frame spacing is not dead even. On one roll it is nearly consistent at .25" or so. On the other roll it ranges from the .25" to just touching edge-to-edge. No overlap, but just touching. The lab I send it to had no trouble scanning it. I think it depends if I "tighten the wind" right after loading. I may not have done that on the first load.</p>

<p>The meter seems to work fine. But in the 2 rolls I have shot thus far I just used my handheld meter for all exposures. I probably would never use the meter as it isn't coupled and I prefer an incident reading most of the time. Which means, I will be carrying my meter, so why not use it?</p>

<p>Mark-<br>

On a super ikonta, the frame spacing depends, in part, on the thickness of the film and paper backing. According to "internet wisdom" film and paper were thicker when your ikonta was designed. On mine, I would advance the "start" arrow all the way to the silver roller, instead of stopping at the "official" indicators. There was indeed a very modest increment to the frame spacing. Hope this helps.</p>

<p>PK - -<br>

Great info! Thanks. I probably will experiment some. I am very happy that the frames don't begin to overlap - that would make it useless. As it is now, they creep a bit, and then realign! Odd, huh? And so far, I have only used one kind of film. So, I might be in for other surprises! Thanks again for the input.</p>

<p>While I don't like to get hung up on technical details, am very glad to hear of your pleasure (and see, albeit via a poor resolution monitor, your fine images), have not had the pleasure of using the older Zeiss lenses (but have thought about that at times), and realize the evident quality upgrade in moving to MF from smaller sizes, I wonder how that excellent lens compares to the lenses of more recent MF cameras, like say the normal focal length Zeiss lenses for Hasselblad, the normal lens on the Mamiya 6 or 7, or the very recent (last year) but quite pricey Fuji 67-Cosina Bessa III? Are we talking of similar quality, and what levels of magnification have you tried? Sorry if my question is somewhat off topic.</p>

<p>Hello Mark,<br>

Congratulations on your fine camera. I have the same model, with coated Tessar lens. It is very sharp indeed. Mine is waiting for overhaul by Henry Scherer, as the shutter is sticky. The meter is accurate on mine. But, selenium meters can die at any time, so it's best to bring a hand-held meter. The lens seems to be better than the one on the 6x9cm Super Ikonta C, though that one also needs an overhaul, so I'll have to see after the repairs are done.</p>

<p>I put some electrical tape strips on the film spool shaft to increase the diameter a bit to avoid frame overlapping.</p>