'flat' reflector that folds like an umbrella

bob_estremera

<p>Need some help on low budget silver reflector that I can put on a lightstand and looking at 2 options:<br>

1. I saw this flat reflector that opens flat but folds down like an umbrella, with the rod and all.<br />It's about 1:15 seconds into this video, http://www.ehow.com/video_2280284_use-reflector-photo-fill-light.html<br />Anybody know where I can find this? I've never seen it before.<br>

2. Another option I would like to pursue is to just locate some silver reflective material like the kind used in collapsible reflectors. I would simply drape and tape it over a regular open umbrella so it would be pretty much flat. I could then position it at any angle I might need.<br>

My challenge is simplicity and cost. I travel, and I mean carry, my lighting through New York mass transit. So I don't really want a boom, knuckle arrangement on which to mount a collapsible reflector. The flat umbrella in the video would be very lightweight and should be pretty much as cheap as a standard umbrella. And the fabric would be really cheap (if I can find it) and weight almost nothing.<br>

Thanks for the help, Bob</p>

<p>Some people recommend trying a foldable silver car dash reflector (for summer to keep heat out) as a reflector, seems like it would work, just use a clamp of some sort to attach to a lightstand.<br>

Photoflex makes some round reflectors that collapse into a small bag.<br>

http://www.photoflex.com/Pro_Products/LiteDisc_sup__reg___sup_/Silver_Black/</p>

<p>How large do you need it to be? Are you shooing portraits, or something like small products? You can look for silver lame (pronounced "luh-MAY") fabric at any fabric store or at fabric stores online, which is the type of fabric used in reflectors. It also comes in gold.<br>

Plain old aluminum foil works great for small product photography, as do the windshield protectors that another poster mentioned.</p>

<p>Using it for portraits and yes, I discovered the lame fabrics.<br />I've seen the 32" collapsible reflectors and they would work well. Would love to find a simple clamp (I've already located the arms) where I could clamp and rotate the reflector from a lightstand.<br />Like I said, I've seen the arms that have clamps to hold the reflector then attach to the lightstand with a boom arm and 'knuckle' arrangement but this is a bulky proposition when you're already carrying, on you back, lighstands, umbrella's, monoblock, speedlights, etc.<br>

Thanks Bob</p>