question is, is there anything I have to be particularly aware of

buying such a monitor so that if I get more into digital in the near

future, I have not bought the wrong thing. I should mention that my

computer does have DVI output so I can use a digital screen and I am

running XP home with lots of speed and RAM. Thanks for any direction

or distinctions that you can give me.

Scott

Hi Scott:

Been there, done that, and here's what I've learned...

1. Since your video card supports DVI input, definitely get an LCD monitor with DVI out as well as Analog out (don't assume that they all come that way, they don't)! I won't go as far to say DVI provides a dramatic improvement in image-quality over Analog, but it is noticeable.

2. Most LCD monitors, if not all, will not have as wide a color-gamut as CRT monitors and are much more difficult to color-calibrate (I bought and returned 3 LCD monitors until I realized that Adobe Gamma doesn't work with them)!

3. I recommend that you get your LCD from a local store and one which won't give you a hard time returning it, should it be necessary. For example, you might wind up with one or more dead/locked pixels (and that's not so unusual).

With all of that said, I do love my 19" LCD and would never go back to a CRT.

Scott,

I have a Dell 20� LCD monitor as part of a dual monitor system and prefer it to the 20� VCR monitor that sits beside it. I prefer it in all ways. Much sharper, equal color, etc.

Phil mentions that Adobe gamma does not work with LCD monitors. In fact, it does not work well enough for calibrating any monitor used for photography and quality digital printing. You need good calibration throughout you system.

Many people will tell you that VCR is still better than LCD. Perhaps it is on a cost basis, but to my eye, for what I do, I prefer LCD. Fortunately, both do a good job, so either way you will be able to achieve good results.

Cheers,

Joe

Very helpful thus far! Do different brands differ significantly in their ability to be used for photography and to be calibrated or are we just splitting hairs here? My inclination is to use my local Office Depot because their return policy is so good...

Any thoughts??

Scott

Scott,

You'll need to look at some yourself and make up your own mind as acceptable quality. I just picked up one of the larger ViewSonics LCDs and like it quite well.

It indeed works with Adobe Gamma and the luminance doesn't change appreciably within reasonable shifts of angle of view. It's certainly superior to my (now) two-year-old (then) top-of-the-line Dell Trinitron.

IMX, the most annoying problems in digital imaging have to do with color management. To paraprase the quip about watches: "A man with two monitors never knows what color blue is". For sure, my printer has its very own interpretation of colors and it doesn't match mine or that of either monitor's.

The next step is systematic calibration of the entire chain.

Scott, as far as LCD brand selection goes, each brand name will have its value models and its top-of-the-line, so to speak. I wouldn't get emotionally tied to the big brand-names, as some lesser known brands are surprising very good... I wound up with a Princeton VL193 (from Costco)!

Previously, I mentioned DVI as an important feature. I forgot to mention a very important parameter - Contrast Ratio. In the larger size LCDs, I would suggest 500:1 or greater (my 19" LCD has a ratio of 600:1).

As I and others here are strongly suggesting, to achieve true 'WYSIWYG', you will have to calibrate (color-profile) your entire system, regardless of brand. ;)

I'm a CRT user before and very stuborn to go to LCD.

One day, I decided to buy monitor and at last, I went to LCD.

At a first time, I'm so worry with the color quality but after I use it for several months, I really loves my LCD now.

The LCD costed my about $750 US. It's EIZO 17"

My set up is using DVI with Matrox Display card. I am so happy with the performance.

I use a 18" Dell Ultra Sharp monitor myself and I love it. I have not noticed a substantial difference between when I used to run it VGA or when I now run it via DVI.

As for the monitor, look for one with a excellent dead pixel policy or a great return policy as well as high contrast ratio.