Flash with ISO 1600

radu_diaconu

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone as used flash with ISO 1600 film and if

so, what were the basic exposures used (slow or rear synchronization).

I'm shooting in clubs lately (dance clubs) and was just thinking of

using that...any thoughts?

Thanks.

Radu D.

TMY 120 at ISO 1600 was my standart material in the Mamiya TLR. I could stop the lens down and bounce the Metz 60. Considering that MF eats 2 extra f-stops for DOF comparable to 35mm it seemed no big deal. With a modern TTL flashing battery eater I'd measure the ambient light before I'd switch on the flash and keep half an f stop underexposure. With a reasonable camera (read: not Pentax LX) I'd try dragging the shutter at 1/15sec (for convenience). - If you have some Nikon you can maybe use the flash at ecorrect exposure for ambient light. - my own TTL isn't that sophisticated. - If the club is huge and you have to flash manually, dial the flash down to the subjects distance, if possible; Autothyristors might try to release too much power like out in the field where there are no reflective walls too. With primitive TTL set the camera to at least one stop underexposure.

My dance club - formerly known as discotheque? - experience would guess the ambient light about by far too dark for handholding, even wide open, so bringing some flash seems to be a good idea as long as it doesn't disturb too much (which could mean stopping down to nail the shots for sure).

Bringing damn fast film will at least allow you to capture ambient light effects.

I always use my sunpak 383 for fill with 3200 speed film. I set the 383 for 1/16th power on manual flash (Ive found that it screws it up on auto settings.). I set my mamiya at f8 and meter for fill to set speed. I use the omni bounce for bare bulb effect and bounce at 80 to 90 degrees and hold the flash at arms length as high and as far off to the side as I can reach.. When I stated shooting bar room portraits, I used a mag-lite with a difuser taped over it, still with 3200 speed film.. I put the mag in my mouth and pointed it at the subjects face for a little extra deffinition. Good luck and have fun.